S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Flipped Out Aswang
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering on your opinions. What do you guys think is a good manual tranny and auto and why you think so?

·
BALLS TO THE WALL
8 Posts
In the automatic catagory the 700R4 is the best for economy and I believe the TH400 is the best for strength. I dont know about manuals

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
I believe the NV3500 is the 5 speed manual (don't quote me) and I know for fact the BW T-56 is the six speed used into today's vettes and f-bodies.

There's not really an issue of which is better, it's more of an issue of what you what to accomplish.

The 700R4 is currently being manufactured 4L60E. (An electronic version.) And then there is the 4L80E (another 4 speed auto - much beefier)

The 700R4 1st gear also a ratio 3.0x vs 2.78 like Ford's auto trannies... That's good info there!

·
Treadwear Waste'n Member
133 Posts
DOH!:rolleyes:

The Vettes used a ZF-6spd in the C4 (89ish-96) then the C5 use a 6spd transaxle.

They do use the T-56 in F-bodies, and Vipers (granted, a little stronger in the Viper)

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
T-10 or super T-10

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you have the bucks, the 4L80E is the bad boy. I am looking into putting one in my S10. The darn laptop adjustable controller for these things is around 800, and I would figure on putting about 3500 in the trans and converter to make it the way I want.

Maybe I should just be content with my reverse pattern manual valve body 700 with 9/11 converter; I am almost out of money....

·
Registered
47 Posts
T56, particularly for the great gas mileage at cruising speed.
Worst Trans - the NV3500 5 spd in the S-trucks
There's no excuse for such junk.

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
M-21 or M-22

1 - 9 of 9 Posts