S-10 Forum banner

Best Amp for Orion HCCA?

15K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  premierdime 
#1 ·
Hey there, I plan on building a fairly large system in the near future, as soon as I finish paying off my truck. Initially, I was planning on running four Orion HCCA 12's, but upon realizing I didn't have the money to upgrade my electrical for such a system, I have decided to settle for two of these subwoofers.

With this in mind, what do you guys suggest I get for amplifiers? I realize I'll most likely need two amplifiers for the system. I would like to keep costs down, as in $600 an amp or so, but if I need something, I need it you know?

As far as how high of amperage I need for my alternator, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm guessing I'll need about a 270A - 300A high output alternator, any suggestions for this? Keep in mind that aside from these two subwoofers, I'll also need power for a Mac Mini, a few actuators, the highs and mids, two screens, and some lights.

Any assistance is much appreciated!

#3 ·
I would most likely be getting the D2 as it's easier to power. And are you sure 270 amps is good? It won't be starving the system at all? And any reviews of DC power engineering alts? Or would I be best going with the mechman? Lastly, how many batteries do you suggest? 3-4?

#4 ·
2 d2s will put you at .5 ohm if this is daily i wouldn't not saying it cant be done just a lot of electrical needs to be done. or 2 ohm which you could use an audiopipe 3k if you don't mind cheap amps that do rated.
3000 watts/14.4 volts=208 amps on 100% efficiency you wont be close but still ive seen people run 3k on worse but you'll be ok with a 270. I believe when you go higher up in amperage you lose output at idle.

Yeah i'm pretty familiar with dc alts they are good but take forever to get. any brand of alts just like any other equipment somebody will have a bad experience with it. either should be fine.

battery depends on what size of battery what brand. basically how much you want to spend.

I have to ask why orion hcca? last time i checked they were really expensive

#5 ·
The orion HCCA subwoofers really aren't that expensive when compared to how much power they output. Online I've found some great deals, and with 1500+ RMS, they're at an amazing price. How realiable is audiopipe? And are you talking one amplifier or two? I was considering getting the RF T1500, but those are on the pricier side, and I would require two of them.

#6 ·
sonic electronix says 389 and 2000 rms each. so now you almost have to do d4 so you can wire down to 1 ohm.
I was talking about audiopipe 3k+3000 watts @2 ohm for 320 but you need 4000 watts
I used to like RF but there are so many amps that are way stronger and cheaper. and there cheap amps are junk to me.
I like big amps so id do a single amp. off the top of my head sundown makes a 4500

#7 ·
Yeah they state 2000 rms, and i'd like to run them each off of a separate amp. What I was thinkin was an audiopipe 18001D to each sub, thereby getting close to their suggested power. Orion states that the subs RMS is 2000, but when giving box dimensions it states two different dimensions, one for 1500RMS and below, and one for above. I was just going to aim for 1500rms with each sub or so, so i believe that this amp would do fine when wired to 1 ohm. Sorry that may be confusing as fawk for you. If it is just ask me to clarify. Thanks for the help!

#8 ·
Run an AQ2200 to each sub or a AQ 3500 to both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.