S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the best alternator for the 4.3L? I have viewed previous threads but havent seen a concise answer. I see a Ac Delco number 335-1080 and 321-2159. 321-2159 seems to be about $100 more than 335-1080? Why? I have also seen high out put part number from the full size pick up recommended? My voltage drops, according to my gauge, to under 10 after its warm.. so i need something .. I would like the best least expensive alternator for my Jimmy. Are remanufactured units a good deal? Help. Which alternator is recommended?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been running cheap reman alternators in my trucks for years, some companies offer limited lifetime warranties save your receipt, you wont have to purchase one again. Also not bad if you can install it yourself. I'd probably look into higher out put if you're running a lot of aftermarket accessories, winches, big stereo things like that otherwise a stock output is just fine.

·
Been there Done it
7,059 Posts
I would like the best least expensive alternator for my Jimmy.
IMHO the "best least expensive alternator" would be one from a junkyard. I have a friend who owns a small yard and help him out on occasion. We see lots of high mileage GM trucks and cars come in when something major dies. A lot of them have nearly new alternators, starters and water pumps that were replaced shortly before the truck had a major failure or accident. I'd pull them and save them so they didn't just get crushed with the rest of the old truck.
Most were standard replacements, but as Juntao_Dw says, unless you have special needs a stock replacement is just fine.
Before you spend any money take your truck to a big box auto parts store and have them test yours. You might just have a loose battery cable or connection.

·
Registered
37 Posts
amazon has alot of decent prices. 83.09 i paid for a db electrical alternator with 1oo extra amps over stock amps.i have two batteries i plan a winch one day really more amps makes no difference unless your asking for them

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can run the larger AD244 alternator from a full-size truck. It's physically larger, but it bolts right up and puts out more amps, especially at idle. It's been discussed here before. You can probably find a few threads on it if you search "AD244".

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
amazon has alot of decent prices. 83.09 i paid for a db electrical alternator with 1oo extra amps over stock amps.i have two batteries i plan a winch one day really more amps makes no difference unless your asking for them
Ditto
I bought the DB one for my Escalade ,which is the DR244,a couple years back
I tested it and it maxed out at 220 amps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts