S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
It's a Blue thing...
12,413 Posts
Clifford has a new one with a nice LCD screen 2 way remote. I believe that any of DEI's newer line of 2 way alarms are some of the best out there.
But aren't worth a damn if installed incorrectly.
25% Alarm, 75% install.

·
you deserve it.
1,010 Posts
:stupid:

DEI is pretty much the way to go. i have an avital avistart 4400 and it came with pretty much every feature right out of the box: 2 way, remote start, etc.. and its also the cheapest.

but all that dont mean shit if it isnt installed properly. shop around where you get it installed (if your not doing it yourself) and ask them questions like where they mount the brain. how they connect wires and cover them. and so on and so forth. youll probably end up spending more on the install then you do the alarm. that is if you dont have some teenagers doing it for you up at best buy or cc.

if your doing it yourself and need some help you can pm me. im no professional but i have done quite a few installs and never had one single problem with any of em, *knocks on wood*. :rolleyes:

·
It's a Blue thing...
12,413 Posts
Check out DEI's website http://www.directed.com/

I currently own the Viper 791XV, very good alarm, I haven't had any false alarms. Every time it's gone off for a reason, not just cuz the wind was blowin or someone was driving by.
Make sure your solder and shrinkwrap all of your connections. Mine were crimped and now i'm going to have to re-do it.

·
Soon to be bagged!!
384 Posts
BuiltNotBought99 said:
I know the Viper 791 I think is the model # is a very nice alarm it works very good thats what I plan to put on my truck.
correct model number. and a damn good alarm! but a lot of it is the install like previously mentioned! i personally solder ALL connections on ANY alarm/keyless entry/remote start systems that i do at work.

·
Registered
606 Posts
dei/vidper/avaital all the same company, and their 2 way alarms are top notch, thats why im glad my distributor carry's the avital alarms have like a 50% marup plus install fee in most stores

·
Throw some Ds on that Bch
280 Posts
stay away from DEI, i work in an alarm / stereo store... we install audiovox alarms, and 90% of alarms that i ever fix are DEI...

I have the audiovox 997

its a 2 way system, its great... dont get DEI / Python / Viper

·
Registered
606 Posts
Enjoithis said:
stay away from DEI, i work in an alarm / stereo store... we install audiovox alarms, and 90% of alarms that i ever fix are DEI...

I have the audiovox 997

first person i met that has ever said this, i hated my audiovox's in the past

·
forum idiot
49,646 Posts
Enjoithis said:

I have the audiovox 997

i have been installing DEI alarms since you were 8 years old...i have NEVER had any issues with there alarms you may have not given them a chance cause they were installed shitty maybe thats why they were faulty....the alarm is only as good as the installer doing the work...or its just not what you install....im hard headed against things i dont sell/install too...maybe thats it...

but if you are not looking for a remote start go with the viper 5000 it has two remotes...one is two-way it has a failsafe starter kill built into the brian...remote adjustable shock sensor...and a whole bunch of other stuff...you can also add remote start to it...or if you want a combo unit go for the 791xv...

and i rip out alot of other brands too....excaliber...prestige...audiovox...pursuit...old old cliifords...but i cant remember a DEI unit that i could not fix to work again after the repair to the shit install...

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
blahh
1,392 Posts
my experience with DEI has been great so far... I put a remote start and stuff on my sisters old car and it was great. Very straight forward...

·
The Schnauzberrys
2,399 Posts
orangesonoma said:
i really should have counted how many alarms i have installed over the years... i bet its over 10 thousand...
I here the dei viper thing, i swear by them. :D

·
The Schnauzberrys
2,399 Posts
speaking of alarms anyone know a good place to get viper 550esp wiring harness and remotes etc etc at a low low cost let me know. i have been looking and cant find any

ps sorry to whore

·
Registered
568 Posts
ok the truth about alarms is this........ they won't stop a thief.
In less than 30 sec a novice theif can break your window, rip you stereo out, and clean out the glovebox and console. a good thief can deactivate the alarm and steal the whole car in that time .
90% of the time it's somebody you've meet who jack your stuff so your best security is not leting people know what you have, not showing off your stuff to people you don't know very well and turning your radio down in parking lots.

as for good alarms my truck does have a clifford alarm system with gps tracking and remote alert to tell me if the truck is being tampered with, but none of that matters as for what makes mine more afective than most peoples, my truck dosen't have a blincking light or stickers in the windows advertising my stereo and alarm, the windows are tinted leagal in the front and limo in the rear , the radio is the same color as the dash so you can't see it very well with the windows up unless you get right up aginst the glass and I never leave the checkbook, my wallet or anything of value in veiw. BUt the most important thing is I don't draw attension to my truck.

I thinck there was an installer in here so lets ask him a question.....
mister instaler,
why is that when a repo truck pulls up to a car and lifts it an exspensive alarm like viper or dei alarm turns off , but most cheap alarms will continue to sound? I know the answer because I ust to drive a repo wrecker.

·
forum idiot
49,646 Posts
bvr775 said:
I thinck there was an installer in here so lets ask him a question.....
mister instaler,
why is that when a repo truck pulls up to a car and lifts it an exspensive alarm like viper or dei alarm turns off , but most cheap alarms will continue to sound? I know the answer because I ust to drive a repo wrecker.
what??? no DEI alarms have a tilt sensor that shuts off...and no other brand that i have heard of do that....and i will prove it to you...i can use the tow truck i have sitting outside my house and i will lift my wifes 04 nissan altima up and drive away and the DEI alarm will sound ....and not stop.......

dont believe things you see in the movies from the 80's where alrnold lifts up a caddy and the alarm shuts off....the movie is twins...

edit...viper is DEI

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
De-Xtremed
2,404 Posts
orangesonoma said:
what??? no DEI alarms have a tilt sensor that shuts off...and no other brand that i have heard of do that....and i will prove it to you...i can use the tow truck i have sitting outside my house and i will lift my wifes 02 nissan altima up and drive away and the alarm will sound ....and not stop.......

dont believe things you see in the movies from the 80's where alrnold lifts up a caddy and the alarm shuts off....the movie is twins...
:rotf: :rotf: :haha: :haha:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts