S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
500? 88 & 38 all the way!
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are all kinds of opinions, but what is the best sounding muffler? I was thinking of a flowmaster, so what do you think?

Also, anyone know the part number for the flowmaster that fits a 2000 Sonoma?

Thanks -Jamie

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Ermm, I've kinda tried to sway whoever wants flows away from them, cause I know a guy that got a setup just like mine (single in, dual out, pipes all the way back to chrome tips underneath the rollpan) and his sounds like a bumblebee, and ugh!!! I had a flowmaster on my high 14 second 4 door import, and it sounded great, but on a 2.2, ACH, no way.....

Cheaper and gruffer= Cherry Bomb Vortex MUFFLER, has a deep tone to it, and doesn't sound ricey at any RPM

Borla turbo= clear sound, not loud, but you know and others know when you're on the throttle

Magnaflow= a straight thru design, sounds pretty good for a 4 banger, but tends to have somewhat of a ricey sound to it up in the RPMS

I mean, we ask a lot out of the 4 banger to sound good at all RPMS so be happy with what you get......but I would say go with the Cherry bomb Vortex or those other two......spintech is another good one, edelbrock muffler....eh...sounds weird.....but again these are just my opinions, I've been dealing with the 2.2 since a while before I got it, and have learned quite a bit about them and their habits.....so go with what sounds good to you!

Caleb

·
500? 88 & 38 all the way!
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I definetly don't want to sound like a swarm of bees. I'm not very familiar with truck exhaust, everyone around here has a ricer. But I do like the sound of the deeper exhaust on some of them. Any ideas what kind of muffler would give me that tone?

Thanks again -Jamie

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I got a whole catback exhaust system made at meineke using the Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler, 2.5 inch all the way back, single inlet, dual outlet, leading all the way to under the tailgate with chrome tips that kinda come out and then point down......I like it, it sounds pretty damn good at idle, and it sounds pretty good otherwise too, I'd say go with that for a deep tone, its got a bite to it and doesn't sound like bees

Caleb

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
???? I would assume pretty much the same.......but mine is the only Cherry Bomb Vortex I've ever heard on anything LOL......I just got it cause it was cheaper and the guy said it would have a more mellow, less buzzy sound than the flowmaster, and thats what I was going for....and since then I've heard a flowmaster on a 2.2, and been highly dissapointed in the name, I think mine sounds better.....so do quite a few people in the area.....I'm trying to convince a lot of people to get different setups with the same muffler to see how they all sound and what they think!! LOL

Caleb

·
Gingerbread Man
57 Posts
I recently had a 2 chamber flowmaster put in my 2.2 with a single in single out. I had it yank it yanked out the following day. (way loud all the time), and considering I leave for work at 430am, im sure my neighbors were loving me. I had a magnaflow single in singel out with downturn installed. I love it. It has the perfect sound for me, and doesnt sound like a ricer. It also has that low grumble when your coming down in revs. I was also told that if I installed headers in the truck (which I plan on doing), that the sound would improve alot. Well, thats my 2 cents worth. Good luck in your choices.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
Umm, mine was like 210 at meineke, fully from the catback enlarged to 2.5" and the tips and everything.....so I guess it was an alright price....probably paid too much though, but I've been happy and it comes with a gaurantee and warranty!!

Caleb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts