S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an 89 s10 with a 350 a nv3500 truck 5 speed and a ford 8.8 rear with 373s. The truck is a winter project. I picked the truck up because it was a good price and will save me alot of money in parts.

The motor now is a 350 with a comp cams 274/286 and 110 duration at least thats what the previous owner told me, it has a weind single plane intake with a edlebrock 600. It has 305 heads and full 2.5" exhaust.

I have just finished building a new 355 cid 010 block for the truck. The motor is mint with basicly everything new, accept for crank and rods (both ground though)

I took the bed off of the truck this evening and found the frame appears to be twisted very noticebly after the cab. I may end up getting another truck and using that as a plateform but my question is how do i keep from bending that frame? My motor will be alot more powerful and torqey and i don't want to do the same thing to that truck. Have any of you had this problem and are there any good ways of avoiding it/fixing what i have right now?

Any input would be great and i am sure i will have lots more questions in the future.

·
**** New Jersey
8,325 Posts
no idea.. but you could prob. box the frame to help

·
Call me Mario, Princess
2,664 Posts
I doubt the frame was bent from the engines power. The nv3500 would grenade before the frame would twist. The truck was probably crashed at some point and never straightened properly.

·
Getting faster
1,220 Posts
I doubt the frame was bent from the engines power. The nv3500 would grenade before the frame would twist. The truck was probably crashed at some point and never straightened properly.

Absolutely. An s-10 frame is pretty decent. Stout enough for anything on the street. Lots even so, that lots of guys use the frames for projects, hot rods, etc.. If this was a full out drag truck, running large slicks at the track, Id say box the frame(if your worried bout it) and run another crossmember.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Have the frame properly straightened and if you really want weld in another crossmember and box the frame.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alrigth well it sounds like it deff wasn't the motor that twisted the frame so now i have some stuff to work with and see what happens. I have a fuel cell so putting another crossmember in the rear wouldn't be a problem with clearing anything. I looked at boxing it in and that is a shit load of work and sounds like it would be overkill anyways. Thanks for the info

·
ALMOST DONE
1,422 Posts
post a pic of the bent frame...it may not be bent...i remember mine being funny looking when i did the frame off rebuild of my truck

·
Registered
112 Posts
i work in a body shop and we see s10 frames bent in the rear behind the cab all the time
very easy fix after taking the bed off
its probably behind the cab before the rearend right?
if its behind the rearend you dont really have to worry about it unless the bed looks crooked,higher on one side than the other, or the bed/cab gab isnt consistent from side to side
remove the bed and take to frame shop itll be fairly cheap

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys
I took the bed off last night and the front clip and fenders off this evening. The frame is bent between the back of the cab and the rear axle just like you said. The drivers side sits about an inch and a half higher along there. the frame is level at the front where i have my jack stands and its level at the very back where the other jack stands sit. Glad to hear im not completely screwed ill talk with a frame shop this week. Just finishing up an engine run stand tommoro night so ill try and grab some pics of the truck when im at the shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up an 89 s10 with a 350 a nv3500 truck 5 speed and a ford 8.8 rear with 373s. The truck is a winter project. I picked the truck up because it was a good price and will save me alot of money in parts.

The motor now is a 350 with a comp cams 274/286 and 110 duration at least thats what the previous owner told me, it has a weind single plane intake with a edlebrock 600. It has 305 heads and full 2.5" exhaust.

I have just finished building a new 355 cid 010 block for the truck. The motor is mint with basicly everything new, accept for crank and rods (both ground though)

I took the bed off of the truck this evening and found the frame appears to be twisted very noticebly after the cab. I may end up getting another truck and using that as a plateform but my question is how do i keep from bending that frame? My motor will be alot more powerful and torqey and i don't want to do the same thing to that truck. Have any of you had this problem and are there any good ways of avoiding it/fixing what i have right now?

Any input would be great and i am sure i will have lots more questions in the future.
I have a big question for the boys fixing up there toys trucksvi have buy a old G.M.C from a friend of mine who was looking at doing this same thing that everyone is doing now on a S15 Sonia's now days and I am looking to put in a 350 Chevy motor in my truck cause of the motor that came with it is needing to be rebuilt and the tranismisson as well but everyone one is trying to tell me that if I do put in a V8 in this truck the frame well twisted on me are they right on this because went I am done doing this to my truck it will be my day to day driving back and to work cc and people are getting pissed at me for wanting a lot faster truck then other have got but I really don't give a shit on what they think cause it's my little truck so if you all can help me out on this one I would be appreciated

·
Been there Done it
7,828 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Couple pointers for you.
Not cool to tack a new question on the end of a 12 year old thread. Won't get much response.
Start a new post in the appropriate section of the forum.
What exactly do you mean by an old GMC? A 50's pickup or an 80 something Sonoma?
This isn't a text message forum. Please you Caps and punctuation so we can figure out what you need help with. :unsure:

·
Administrator
22,623 Posts
Had this all typed out and got distracted...

Several things...

1. Do not dig up old threads.
2. Start your own thread in either Members Projects, or V8 Discussion.
3. Curb your cussing.
4. Use punctuation. It makes it much easier to read and understand what your saying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts