S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
V8 newbie
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a question for all u V8 (N/A guys) or anyone that knows lol

I was told by a buddy of mine if I just have the header on my new sbc 305 and no pipes or mufflers after them I can bend the valves in minutes.. is this true?

most likley I was planning on getting the truck, putting the header on putting the carb on and tuning the carb with just headers, then run it down to the muffler shop to get the exhaust done.. maybe drive it a little before I get the exhuast done.. what do u guys think will I be at risk ofbending valves if I do so?

the engine is out of a 86 monte carlo (from what I understand) sb 305 not built up un known mileage, will have a new 600cc 4bbl carb, sampson (I think) headers..

your opinions?

Dave

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. It would only do it when you shut it down. And even then, you have the header as a buffer to heat any air that going to get up to the valve.

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
I drove my shit for over a year w/o pipes just open longtubes and the guy that setup my heads for the new motor said my valves looked new, lol... It wont mess up anything....

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
you wont bend or burn any valves.... its just a myth.

·
PUNISHING GROUNDS
3,350 Posts
Yeah, i dont think you will bend any valves with just headers. I have heard u can bend/warp valves running w/o headers, just streight comin out of the block, that is bad news. But not with headers....although it could happen.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
If it could happen so easily than drag cars would run exhaust and not open headers. You don't see a single drag car running exhaust. But why would you opt for a crap 305 out of a monte carlo??? My 4.3 puts out 40 more hp than that motor does!! I had an 86 Monte and it was a complete dog. Probably ran in the high 16's -17's in the 1/4.

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
got_u_sick said:
Yeah, i dont think you will bend any valves with just headers. I have heard u can bend/warp valves running w/o headers, just streight comin out of the block, that is bad news. But not with headers....although it could happen.
wont happen that way either.....
although it can start under hood fires...:D

i knew a guy who did this once with an old car. with the hood closed, and the car sitting still, the engine would frequently stall from lack of sufficent oxygen under the hood....

·
Nitto1320 M O D
1,612 Posts
Crew Cab Sonoma said:
i knew a guy who did this once with an old car. with the hood closed, and the car sitting still, the engine would frequently stall from lack of sufficent oxygen under the hood....
Thats pretty cool, haha...

Dont worry about your valves.. open headers is FINE

·
RRAARR!!!!
240 Posts
yeah don't worry about the open headers. I've run open on several vehicles i've owned and have not had a problem. you can bend valves from running at 6200 rpm for an extended period of time while doing donuts. ive learned this the hard way.

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
My co-owner of our shops grandpa did the no headers trick for $20 in the 50's, lol... he drove it to the store and back and got the $20, no issues what so ever... People that started these wifes tales are long and dead by now, hopefully.... In 10 years it wont ever be talked about, kinda like 400sbc's overheating, lol

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
or the ever still so popular: "engines NEED backpressure"....:D

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts

·
BADDEST TRUCK IN DFW
2,089 Posts
Crew Cab Sonoma said:
or the ever still so popular: "engines NEED backpressure"....:D
lol....so do waterhoses:rolleyes: Exhaust flows OUT not IN so backpressure only affects high rpm hp #'s. you may pickup 5 hp WITH exahust but gain 10fttq w/o exhaust....Hmmm thats a hard dessiosion to make, lol..:cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts