S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me where the belt tensioner is located on an 'O1 4.3L? Whatb type of test can I do to see if I need a new one? I have a feeling that this is the rattle I am hearing when my A/C is on. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The tensioner is just under the Alt. Between the Alt. and crank pulley. If the belt has tension , it should be fine. You can use a 3/8's rachet and remove the belt by taking the tension off the system. Then if the tensioner moves beyond where it sat with no difficulty, its OK.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If it only rattles when the A/C is on it probably isn't your belt tensioner. A bad tensioner tends to make squeeking noises.

It's prob the A/C.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The a/c doesn't have to be on. I usually here it at start-up or low idle, once I am up to speed either the rattling stops or it is drown out by engine noise. Can you over tighten the tensioner though, cause if it is loose I am gonna try to tighten it up a bit to see if the rattling will stop. Can someone also explain a little better what to look for to see if it is not operating correctly? Thx

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The tensioner has no adjustment really. You take a 3/8 rachet and short extension, stick it in the square hole of the tensioner arm and push it toward the center fan area. This relieves the tension so the belt comes off. If the tensioner moves beyond where it sat with the tension it allready had on it, and does it freely , it should be fine. Once you get it all the way over then bush it back, if there's a decent amount of force needed the tensioner is fine. There is no spec I know of for it. If a tensioner doesnt move beyond where it was sitting or sticks, its bad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help. When the engine is on I can see the tensioner moving left to right, kind of jiggling back ad forth. Is this normal?

·
Strictly Domestic
2,864 Posts
Just to let you know tensioners are common but A/C compressors are too. Tensioners are common for coming apart but the compressors make noise.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
NorCal said:
Thanks for the help. When the engine is on I can see the tensioner moving left to right, kind of jiggling back ad forth. Is this normal?
Yes the tensioner will wobble, this is due to the pullies not being either perfectly round of bolted on perfectly straight.

·
Registered
370 Posts
my 92 4.3 TBI tensioner has some marks on it, I assume to measure spring tension - how do I read this? I wanna make sure I dont need a new one.

·
Registered
69 Posts
tension pulley

when they wear they wobble more, notches are to keep cover in place so spring inside does not move cover (no adjustment). 3/8 ratchet to remove and install. if there is space between 2 parts of housing that is uneven or more than 1/4 inch replace, its wearing out and they usually come apart while driving and hits fan and makes a nice hole in radiator. it is cheap about 50$ and 10-15 min to change for any novice mechanic, get a chilton's book for reference info as how to do if needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts