S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
registered loser
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to bypass my A/C compressor on my belt routing. My local parts store, Lordco, doesnt have any routing diagrams. They told me that the belt for my truck without A/C is only 1.5 inches shorter than the belt i'm running now. This doesn't sound right to me. Any advice?

My truck is a 95 4.3 tbi pretty well stock.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
My compressor just locked up, so i had the same issue. The solution I found was an AC bypass pulley that bolts right to your compressor mounting bracket, and uses the original belt, as if it still was ac equipped. Most parts stores seemed to have it for around $34. Seems to work well, so far.

·
registered loser
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hm. I may try that if all else fails. I haven't had much time to fiddle around with it yet but when I do I will post my results

·
F.ound O.n R.oad D.ead
451 Posts
yea i just got the ac bypass pulley. but you can just get a belt for a truck without a/c..or run apiece of string around your pulleys.

·
registered loser
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so heres a question for ya. all the other pulleys on the belt, does it matter which direction they rotate? can I just make up a routing or am I going to blow something up?

·
F.ound O.n R.oad D.ead
451 Posts
umm id route the alternator, power steering, water pump and crank correctly just in case but the tensioner and ac bypass(if you get it) doesnt matter.

·
registered loser
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so after looking at it today I decided to just grab a bypass pulley. should bolt right on once i get the compressor off. going to have it discharged by a shop tomorrow.

once the system is discharged can i take the accumulator out too? what should I do with the now open pipes that lead away from the a/c assembly?

thanks guys

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
You can take a sawzall to the lines if ya want, or loosen the connections and remove them gently (could put on Ebay).

Pulleys HAVE to rotate the same way (of course the bypass and tensioner are whatever, but some are groved and some are flat and I would reccommend all the original rotations....)

·
registered loser
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah I'll figure out a way to get them off. can i just leave the holes open though or should i try to plug them up

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
I've seen many still open, altho I like things neat myself I would plug them or atleast wrap them up with duct tape or something......

·
F.ound O.n R.oad D.ead
451 Posts
i just cut them off flush, then got like 20 bucks for scrap aluminum (condenser, lines, radiator)

·
registered loser
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok guys. I got my system discharged at a shop today, I have the pulley and I know how to get the belt off. should be a simple procedure, i'm just waiting until the weekend so I have some free time... that is, between cases of beer.

·
F.ound O.n R.oad D.ead
451 Posts
i hear ya bud glad you got decided and asked questions first.

·
registered loser
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys. I managed to get the compressor off and the pulley installed. It drives but its running pretty bad now. It idles fine, maybe a little low but it stays running. When i put it in gear it almost dies out and sometimes stalls completely. It was driving fine earlier today so it must be something to do with the work i just did.

There were two electrical plugs and 2 hoses attached to the a/c compressor. I just left them loose for now. The hoses don't have vaccum or pressure with the engine running. One hose goes into the accumulator and one hose looks like it goes into the rad or something close to it. I'm not sure where the wires go... As of right now. Its dark out, my flashlight died and i'm most of the way through my case of beer. Back on it in the morning i guess.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys

·
F.ound O.n R.oad D.ead
451 Posts
those hoses are useless the one going to radiator is the condenser which you could remove to get your money back on that bypass pulley.
but im going to guess and say maybe you hit a vacuum loose? maybe the pcv valve since its right behind the compressor. just check all connections near it and dont worry about those two hoses

·
registered loser
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, that sounds about right. The compressor was a real biatch to get out, i probably hit a line when i was beating the shit out of it with my tire bar :)... Ok it didn't quite happen like that.

Do i need to do anything with the electrical connections?

·
F.ound O.n R.oad D.ead
451 Posts
i just cut them off and capped the wires but just put them out of the way there not hurting anything

·
Registered
494 Posts
can't you just unplug the AC compressor?
mine hasn't worked for years, but i had to rebuild the pulley bearings once.

·
registered loser
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine was so loud you could hear me coming from a mile away. The bearing was shot and the compressor seemed to be stuck on... It was clickin in and out all the time. I just wanted it gone. I'm sure you could just pull the wires if you want

·
registered loser
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey guys, little update here. when i started my truck up the next morning it didn't try to stall on me so i went and drove around for a bit. it ran quieter without the noisy ass a/c in there but I had a noticeable lack of power so I knew something was still up. I went to the store to get a big wrench and some carb cleaner so I could remove the accumulator and lines, and then test for vacuum leaks. look what I found:

the hose in the upper right of the pic wasn't even attached, I have n idea where it goes (what is it?) but its supposed to be attached to the air intake. i hooked it up and now i have more power and it hasn't given any indication that it wants to stall. I sea foamed it but it barely gave me any smoke... like almost none. must have been clean to begin with? anyways now it runs awesome, really quiet, doesn't shake. I'll keep an eye on my fuel mileage but i'm sure it will be better cause i was getting terrible mileage the last few tanks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts