S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Blazer Xtreme stock front with three inch block in rear.

Two years ago I replaced the tired Bilstein shocks with the Nitro drop. It did seem to help the ride and handling. Less than 15,000 miles later It has now become almost unbearable to drive on a city street with pot holes. It bottoms out both front and back. I need to replace these but I don't want to go back with the Nitros. I first tried installing the Belltech 9522 Street Performance Shocks but they would not fit. The mechanic that I had install them said that the dust shield was an issue. Maybe they would have worked if the dust shield was removed.

Any thoughts on a solution? Thanks

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One note the shocks that were on it were actually AC Delco branded Bilstein. The previous owner had installed 4 AC Delco shocks.witch I believe are OEM.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
I'd go with the Bilsteins...hard to beat. You pay more...but quality costs.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I looked for but the do not have them for the Xtreme. I could go with the AC Delco I do believe they are made by Bilstein same blue and yellow. I'll pay the extra for a good ride. They also should last longer that 2yrs.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
Call Bilstein and ask them what they suggest.I wouldn't depend on color to determine brand.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did two years ago and they did not have a solution although they made it clear that they do make the AC Delco shocks. They make a shock for the LS Blazer but not the lowered xtreme.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
@Rhotpursuit You have a lowered suspension correct? What are you using for your shocks?
I'm using the Bilstein shocks that the ZQ8 suspension it came with in the later years. Mine originally had DeCarbon shocks. I'd check with, or reach out to some of the other Xtreme Blazer owners and see Bilstein shocks they used. If I recall correctly, the Blazers did not come with the ZQ8, but the Z87. I'm not sure that included a factory drop.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
If you can get the AC Delco shocks for an xtreme Blazer they'll be Bilstein And the correct factory replacement from my experience.

I wrote the part numbers down somewhere at some point - probably on pro-tourings10.com - but I'm not turning them up this morning. ZQ8 shocks are similar in valving too, but not exactly the same.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called Belltech and they will warranty the shocks. I would like to upgrade to their Sp but they will only replace with the nitro. I will give these a try again. I could try selling the replacements and buy AC Delco.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Belltech went once step father after i talked to the warranty dept. They will replace the nitro 2 with their Street Performance Shocks. :)

·
Registered
2002 S10 LS Extra Cab 4.3L 2WD. 2/3 drop
55 Posts
I have an S10 with a 2/3 drop. I just recently installed the Belltech SP shocks. The Belltech guy even told me I may need to remove the front dust covers, which I did no problem. I really like the performance of these shocks. The OEM ride is not there on some roads and they remind you that you have a lowered vehicle, but I kind of like that though. No regrets!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have an S10 with a 2/3 drop. I just recently installed the Belltech SP shocks. The Belltech guy even told me I may need to remove the front dust covers, which I did no problem. I really like the performance of these shocks. The OEM ride is not there on some roads and they remind you that you have a lowered vehicle, but I kind of like that though. No regrets!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts