S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a new clutch in my 91 2.8 this weekend. When I replaced the tranny a while ago the top bolts on the bellhousing looked pretty hard to reach. Will I need to jack up the body to get a ratchet up there or is it easier than it looks?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I replaced the clutch on my '99 a while back, I used a 2 foot extension, a swivel, and a 3 inch extension. Had no problem getting the bolts and transmission out. Putting it back in however was another problem. I couldn't get the dowels to match to the transmission, even with a 2x4 on the jack raising the front of the motor. Unbolted the front body bolts and loosened the rear bolts, jacked the cab up at the front and placed 2x4's between the cab and the frame. Transmission slipped in no problem after that, put the crossmember and a few bolts in. Took me all of 30 minutes after the transmission was in to finish it up and go for a ride. Took all of 2 hours to figure out why the transmission wasn't going back in after I took it out. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anything you had to disconnect to jack up the cab like the steering linkage?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not quite sure how the cab and the front of the truck go together. Did you lift it the first way or the second way?

·
Registered
344 Posts
i don't think the front clip's strong enough to go with the second way

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm not quite sure how the cab and the front of the truck go together. Did you lift it the first way or the second way?
Technically the first but without unbolting the front fenders. Just unbolt the cab bolts (there are 6) minus the back two closest to the bed, leave those hand tight. Put the jack under the front of the cab and lift. Not as much as the pictures. Just enough to give you a 1/4" or 1/2" of lift on just the front. This just gives you some wiggle room that makes this much easier, at least for me when trying to slide the transmission back in. Before you ask, you will not warp a body panel or cause any damage, but if you push the cab up too far you could, like pushing the cab up over 3 or 4 inches.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
well if you pull the trans crossmember the back of the engine will come down far enough.

so....

still not the easiest thing geting to the top bolts even then but thats just part of the job

wait til you gotta do a ranger or explorer around 99 or 2000 and up with 4.0L

you cant evne see the tp bolts and they are not evne with each other, one of them is way up higher and totally hidden away, the pass side one, you have to reach in through the fender tub with all of the length of your arm and with the very tip of your finger you can find the bolt head to get a socket on it, and thats how you find and remove it... have to remove it totally blindly

yeah its awesome....

not...

nightmare..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts