S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what was a good bed cover that's not like 500 bucks? Or mabe i could build one,if someone had any ideas about building one I would love to hear them.

Thanx

·
Registered
94 Posts
A friend of mine built his own bed cover for about 130 dollars Canadian (prob $90 US). I thought it would look like crap but I was really impressed with the finished product.

He bought 3/4" mdf and had the guy cut it to fit flush with the bed rails. Then he had that cut into three equal sized sections (you could leave it all one piece if you want, but 3 pieces looks really good and is functional).

Sand down, and round any rough edges

Then go to a fabric store and get some marine grade vinyl. Wrap the three equal pieces in your vinyl. Attach it with spray adhesive and staples.

Now you have to rig up some brackets to make the wrapped pieces sit flush with the bed edge. Any hardware store will have some L shaped brackets that will work. the worst part of the install is that you probably would have to drill a few holes to bolt your supports up.

If you live near a hardware mega store that does the cutting for you this project is pretty easy. most fabric stores have sales on all the time and have vinyl in 2-3 colors so you could get creative. for the money you will need to spend I think you will be really happy.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
That sounds pretty cool... I'm not really into this, but I think what might be kinda cool for some people would be to make this tonneau cover and cover it w/ carbon fiber. I haven't seen carbon fiber covers yet and if you have other exterior CF stuff, that would match it pretty well. Just a thought...

DogP

·
Registered
94 Posts
DogP
your right, carbon fiber would be cool. just follow the same basic steps that I mentioned, and then get creative in covering the MDF.

Maybe leave the wood in one big piece and glue a single piece of sheet metal to it. that would look really clean after it was painted.

Try something before you go and blow $500 or more. Some of the store bought covers i have seen around here dont look like they fit perfectly and some of them even curve into a lame little wing at the back.

·
Steel Chariot Customs
4,208 Posts
wait...so the wood goes under the sheet metal right? hmm...that could work..but i want mine in one piece..how woudl you go about doing tht ..whats mdf.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts