S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
murse
13,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a total noob to body work/ repair and by that I mean I've never done it before. Lol. I would love to learn some basic techniques and therefore have a question. Does anyone have any good resources of advice or tool recommendations I can use to fix this? I know it's a process and more than a fee forum posts can handle but I would love some starting advice. Thanks.
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Wheel Vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
remove taillight, use a 24 with a small piece of 2x2 screwed on the edge so it looks like an L. put that in the tail light hole and pry it around while you push the dented in sheetmetal out. You can get creative and grind the wood to a more rounded piece of wood and have a nice buck to slightly hammer on the outside of the bed against the wood.
You can work that dent almost 100% back to perfect..youll need to go at it from the light hole and from underneath the bed. But that is thin sheetmetal right there, and very easily workable.

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,796 Posts
There's also probably some decent youTube videos for 'beginners for bodywork", which may also be helpful. Here's a link that may get you started:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=auto+body+repair+for+beginners+
However, stay away from any suggested 'fix' of just filling up the entire deformation with a big old blob of Bondo. And the key to all good bodywork is the proper preparation. Take your time, do it right, and you should only need to do it once. This is a relatively straightforward 'boo boo' to deal with. Keep us posted on how it goes, and drop back by with any more questions.

·
murse
13,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all. This is really helpful. Any reputable sources for tools? I am familiar with Eastwood but outside of that I am not the most comfortable. Mainly don't want to spend a whole bunch of money if I am just going to do it every now and again.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Any reputable sources for tools?
it takes a Phillips to unscrew your taillight, a hammer and a two-by-four piece of wood like stated earlier. You probably have all these already.

·
murse
13,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it takes a Phillips to unscrew your taillight, a hammer and a two-by-four piece of wood like stated earlier. You probably have all these already.
So you're saying I need to be a big boy and just do it right? Lol. And yes, I do have those things. I will update as I go along if I have any questions.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm a total noob to body work/ repair and by that I mean I've never done it before. Lol. I would love to learn some basic techniques and therefore have a question. Does anyone have any good resources of advice or tool recommendations I can use to fix this? I know it's a process and more than a fee forum posts can handle but I would love some starting advice. Thanks. View attachment 369464 View attachment 369465 View attachment 369466

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
DIY Paint match will be the magic here.

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,796 Posts
DIY Paint match will be the magic here.
From the photo, that looks to be the 'Pewter' GM color. That can be confirmed with the RPO codes sticker in the glovebox. The code for the 'Light Pewter Metallic' paint is U382E with the basecoat/ clearcoat BC/CC. I use the gray (sandable) primer as the basecoat prior to finish coats. I've had reasonably good results with the Dupli-color paint for smaller touchup work. That rattle can paint is usually available at the local parts stores like Advance Auto, Auto Zone, O'Reilley's, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts