S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MPRT KLR
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard is it to take the bed off and how much does it weigh?

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
its easy, 8 bolts tottal, 4 on each side. if u have the bumper caps take them off first, disconnect the rear tail lights"a harness plug" thats on the left of the rear under the bed. you may also have to disconnect the black wire, mine had one it goes to the frame. then if u have the spare tire holder you need to lift up the rear of the bed to make sure the pipe to lower the spare tire comes out of the rear bottom bed, then with 2 people if they are strong enough, lift where the wheel wells are and lift straight up and make sure you clear the rear wells, then move the bed where ever you need to put it. thats its! i have done this prob like 7 times, so its pretty easy. hope this helps you.. any q's? e-mail me [email protected]

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
one thing that you left out was unbolting the gas filler, you need star wrenches to get them out, me and my friend had it of in 15 minutes, its hella easy.

·
life begins @ 20 psi
674 Posts
Taking the bed off isn't to involved. A breaker bar and a few extensions will make quick work of the bolts that hold the bed on. An impact wrench works very well also as the bolts can be VERY stubborn! Apply some grease to the bolts before you put them back in to make installation easier. It will also protect them from corrosion and make them easier to remove the next time... Make sure that you remove the bolts that hold your gas filler neck in place too. There should be a ground wire there also bolted to the bed in additon to the one dropindaS-mini mention for the tail lights. One other thing on the wiring for the tail lights, make sure that there is no plastic clips snapped to the wiring harness. These are usually pushed into the frame and they snap around the wiring harness. Before you reconnect your ground wires, sand or grind the metal slightly and put some silicone grease on the bare metal. This will assure that you have good grounds and a happy electrical system :) . When you lift the bed off, make sure you have somwhere to put it (duh). Sawhorses or two steel 50 gallon drums work well. You don't wanna scrape up your paint/metal do ya? In closing, this is based on removing the bed from my syclone to upgrade the fuel pump since the lines aren't long enough to just drop the tank :mad: so, some of the above may not appy to you. Not sure about how many people would be necessary to lift it off as we used a 10 ton overhead crane to take mine off :D . HTH

Mike

·
MPRT KLR
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you people rule. now how much does it weight...appx?

·
life begins @ 20 psi
674 Posts
Oh yeah, one last thing once you get the bed off. Take the liberty to clean and wax behind the cab and the front of the bed. Spray down the frame if you have a pressure washer too. If not, a hose and a wheel brush will do for cleaning off all the gunk that will be on your frame as it never sees the light of day. And depending on how old your truck is, you may want to smear some grease on the locking cam that holds your fuel sending unit in your gas tank. If it is REALLY rusted, just take it off and replace it. On my truck it was rusted out big time and it ended up coming off in several pieces. Smear some grease on the fittings going to the sending unit too. Those are VERY difficult to remove without twisting up the fuel lines if they are corroded. The last two are just a suggestion to make removing it easier if you ever have to replace your fuel pump (knock on wood). HTH some more.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts