S-10 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 1241 Posts

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
haha lowered trucks flex too :cool:

but did something a few days ago.
Taped off the parts i don't want undercoating on. when i redo the control arm bushings i will take care of them at that time. rust on the fender looks worse than it really is.

and done.

still on the jack but it looks so much better than that multicolor fenderwell.

no pics but i did the rear wells too.

been lazy and still haven't ordered that dampener yet...:( lately i just checked all the fluid. transfer case was good, front diff, rear diff. may change the transfer case fluid. i know it needs to be changed every 30K or so from what i've read.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
$20 for that ugly ass thing? no way....i will get one soon. its been bothering me but i have been thinking about new wheels and tires....just dont know what.
and on the steering damper well i am not sure what to expect when one is on.....

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
well a little update.

First this....went to back out of the driveway to head off to work, then suddenly remembered it was trash day, so i get out and when i do i hear a loud HISSSSSSSSSS like someone opened my valve stem...found out the sidewall cracked.

whole tire deflates in less than 2 minutes and only leaks when parked on. so i drove the noma to work instead and swapped out the tire for the spare when i got home.

you can see the tire was fairly dry rotted to begin with, also looks to be ran low on air for a while too.

So new meats on the way :D should be here monday :clap: i will leave the tire choice a surprise.

This hole may be a problem when off roading. i dont think mud is suppose to get in there.

scored this for free. from a spare tranny my buddy has.

done lol.

besides that, i am trying to remove the stupid leaf shackles....one is rusted though the backside (from mud being caked on there for so long) and the bolt is seized to the inner collar of the bushing...so i may have to torch the bushing out :(. even tried a ball joint press to remove the bolt but with no luck.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Yeah they are dated for the 34th week of 2004. Still have a fair amount of tread left. But being 7 years old I can understand why they are dry rotted. Guess that's a downside for a truck with low miles. Hopefully the new ones will last. Read reviews on people getting 40k+ out of the tires that I ordered.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
besides that, i am trying to remove the stupid leaf shackles....one is rusted though the backside (from mud being caked on there for so long) and the bolt is seized to the inner collar of the bushing...so i may have to torch the bushing out :(. even tried a ball joint press to remove the bolt but with no luck.
i found the easiest way to remove seised leaf spring bolts is to cut the head off the bolt off then pull the stud through by tightining the nut. once the nut bottoms out just back it all the way off and put a spacer in between the frame and the nut and contine to tighten. in the end it will pull the stud through.

·
Chopper! Sic balls!
39,283 Posts
New tires are secret?
i found the easiest way to remove seised leaf spring bolts is to cut the head off the bolt off then pull the stud through by tightining the nut. once the nut bottoms out just back it all the way off and put a spacer in between the frame and the nut and contine to tighten. in the end it will pull the stud through.
Nice. That's a hell of a tip man.

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
Beandip your ride is looking real nice man! What kind of undercoating was that?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Nice. That's a hell of a tip man.
thanks. i thought of it building my sfa truck and it was my last resort to get the spring bolts out. worked good for me, just a little time consuming.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
UGH, still working on mine....may get a shop to do it *GASP*. but really holy shit i just cant do it without demolishing those bushings. i suppose i can get a quote and see....just dont want to destroy them then have down time waiting for parts to ship. I will decide....but for now they are staying there for the moment.

I didn't know what indigo looked like.... I think my z is the same color but I've never buffed it out like that haha.

I'm afraid to wash it now, I know I scratched it all to hell my last time off roading in all that damn sage brush.
lol wow. but you would be surprised how many scratches you can buff out. still need to wax mine, i only buffed it and stripped the wax....need to get some on asap.

BIG Update....

so my gas cap was really hard to remove (tight fitting) and was aftermarket. well i removed one from the scrap parts truck we have and installed the O-ring to the GM one being the aftermarket one was new.

but that isnt the real update......:D

AAWWWWWW YEEEAAAAHHH!!!1

some BFG KM2 mud tires

(yes i know i need some lug caps)

Surprisingly they are not very loud on the highway. i was expecting some roar but instead i have a pleasant hum...sorta :haha: i figured if i dealt with my 2.2 exhaust for so long dumped behind the cab, i am sure i can deal with a little tire howl.

though while on the highway i can feel that the taller tread is making a spongy reaction when turning the wheel to change lanes....definitely different than i'm used to. going from low profile to meaty tires is a big change in response for sure.

Price wasnt cheap.....$1,200 mounted/balanced and alignment :( that is actually almost as much as i paid for my 18" staggered tires (but were BFG as well)!

oh well. read quite a few reviews saying you can get +50K miles out of these tires if you properly rotate and keep them inflated correctly. So i will keep an eye on wear and rotate every 3000 miles. i'd be happy if i can get 40K or so....

my alignment...WOW was it off :haha: it always felt wrong driving the truck and after getting it corrected it drives completely different. though before it wasnt pulling. maybe slightly to the right.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
hope it wasnt jumped!!!

but i do remember the previous owner talking about how the steering wheel was crooked so his buddy aligned the steering wheel...probably was a backyard alignment just eyeballing the adjustment. or they replaced a tie rod and never took it to the shop. Camber i can see being affected by a jump....

alignment was off by 5/16th...cant say thats too crazy.

either way UGH, dumping money into my daily, its the noma all over again :haha: for a good reason, cant argue that my old tires werent in bad condition.

81 - 100 of 1241 Posts
About this Discussion
1.2K Replies
133 Participants
AlexF2294
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing