S-10 Forum banner

481 - 500 of 1241 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
bumper plans look good! any ides for a guard on top? (light bar of some sort) plans of a winch? and whats the plans on paint?

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
Not sure about the winch. If I do get one I can always mod the bumper to fit. Lights, not sure....paint. I'll surprise you guys but it's nothing special.

I just bought steel so I am starting on it now!

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
Done yet?

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
^ :blaugh: man, its a long process.

picked up a full 8x4' sheet of 3/16" plate for $111. started measuring and making 100% sure both side are exactly the same. i had to go back and change an angle on one of the corners.

plasma makes it really nice.

1 side done.

top mounted into the factory mount holes.

front 4 pieces cut and tack welded.

it is SUCH a pain in the ass to try and get one of these heavy pieces of plate into position on the EDGE of another plate, then hold it straight, and tack weld it.

threw the grille on for a quick look.

i am sorta thinking about angling the edges more, but not sure. if anything i will add fog lights to the front. still looks goofy without the edges or the bottom pieces. the 2 outer most front pieces angle from 6.5" to 5.5". i am thinking another 1/2" but really cant decide....i dont want it looking too skinny. if anything it is similar to an animal bumper.

Those liners do look nice!! How much did they run you?
they were $110 i believe. i know kinda pricy but considering my last floor mats lasted 10+ years i'm sure these will be fine. also i did hear about monstaliner. not sure if i will do the bodyline down though.

·
Maybe later.
9,335 Posts
I want to know something.

How do you such great work...so quickly?

Idk it always seems like everything you do to any of your trucks is done in half the time I could get it done and looks much better. Just saying.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
tytotheler......lies....like i said, i spent 7 HOURS to build a bumper out of cardboard, let alone steel. also i'm tired and have to go to work tomorrow....poo.

it was 3:00PM at my first cut pic, and i finally came inside at 9:40. really i am taking my time, making sure the edges are straight. though all the welds will cover any slight defects, and it will be all ground down smooth.

·
Maybe later.
9,335 Posts
That would have taken me days!

And I don't even know how to weld.

Well maybe i should learn that part before I estimate time.

Still, take the compliment! lol

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
it would take days cutting with a grinder...also a lot more dangerous. but this is basically the cutting pace when i did my buddies bumper. its the measuring that takes the longest and making sure each cut is correct.

·
Flame It ALL
8,853 Posts
Bean don't cut corners, hell look what his mailbox does when people hit it.

·
Maybe later.
9,335 Posts
Beans projects cut corners though....and rip them right out of body panels.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Looking forward to how this turns out. In my opinion this is a really hard thing to pull off. The only plate steel bumpers I've ever found myself real found of are usually quite short 3-4" max and then taper down to like 2 1/2" at the sides. Sorry no pics to provide. That's just the look I've always been fond of. Lots of clearance and still very functional.

·
Ridin' on Twankies
3,621 Posts
Bumper looks good.

If I had a 4x4 I'd definitely do something similar. For looks, and for use.

I have no doubt in my mind that if you had the time you could get someone to laser cut some metal out of some templates you made up, you could mass produce these things if the price was right.

people pay for quality.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
^ i was SUPER tempted to make one out of 1/8" plate for template purposes. me and a buddy are going to make our own CNC plasma table, but really if i made the templates out of 1/8" (drag tip cant trace along anything thicker than that) i could EASILY dish out bumpers as this thing cuts 60ipm on 1/4" plate. my problem was i didnt think anyone would be very interested in a bumper without a winch mount. surely one can be added, but i dont have a winch to test fit/mock up. i could even sell the bumper as a weld it yourself kit for a faction of the price.

Looking forward to how this turns out. In my opinion this is a really hard thing to pull off. The only plate steel bumpers I've ever found myself real found of are usually quite short 3-4" max and then taper down to like 2 1/2" at the sides. Sorry no pics to provide. That's just the look I've always been fond of. Lots of clearance and still very functional.
this is the one i built for a buddy. IMO its way too skinny. looks good in the pics, but in person its too skinny. with my stock one we went through some crazy steep hills and i only managed to barely scrap the valance going up it. also up/down creeks. so really the stock one is very functional as far as clearance goes.

anyways, small progress i suppose. i decided to angle the side piece 1/2" up to make it "flow" toward the back more but without making it skinny. yes i know the template corner is a bit off and looks goofy, ignore that :haha:

neighbors stopped by and we pretty much got nothing done since we were just BSing. :( i did have to go get a new drag tip as i believe this one is worn out after 2 years.

Surprise update though! ordered these on Tuesday. they shipped USPS from California and wow they were already here today! 1.25" hubcentric spacers.

installed.

before.

after. hard to tell but it made a big difference on how the truck looks in person.

you can see a whole lot more tire from the mirror, and it matches the track width up front.

·
I make pneumatics
2,602 Posts
So shiny...you gonna keep those spacers polished.

·
Ridin' on Twankies
3,621 Posts
^ i was SUPER tempted to make one out of 1/8" plate for template purposes. me and a buddy are going to make our own CNC plasma table, but really if i made the templates out of 1/8" (drag tip cant trace along anything thicker than that) i could EASILY dish out bumpers as this thing cuts 60ipm on 1/4" plate. my problem was i didnt think anyone would be very interested in a bumper without a winch mount. surely one can be added, but i dont have a winch to test fit/mock up. i could even sell the bumper as a weld it yourself kit for a faction of the price.
Maybe you could borrow a buddies winch, or even invest in your own and then start making the bumpers.

I'm sure you could sell them as fast as you had them made.

CNC cutting ftw. I can already see you CNC cutting a ton of billet, and you'd have a huge market on here with that as well if you wanted to, speaker grilles, defrost vents, billet trees lol, anything flat and easy to cut. :haha: and with your polishing skills, it would make you some extra change for sure :cool:

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
lol, I said that jokingly and your next post you're like 1/2 way done hahahaha. You amaze me.
On a winch note, if you made the bumper stick out about 3-4 inches further could you incorporate a winch INSIDE the bumper? Have you ever looked at Warn's winch bumpers? I like some of their bumpers but some are just hideous. Yes, lights in the bumper would be a good thing.

481 - 500 of 1241 Posts
About this Discussion
1.2K Replies
133 Participants
AlexF2294
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing