S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1241 Posts

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo, long story short, my job (coca cola) is getting rid of the company vehicles, you guys may have seen that astro van in the background of my pics...well that is now gone and they pay us mileage @ .55 cents per mile, and i do quite a bit of driving.

anyways i searched HIGH and low on craigslist for a new daily...Never found anything as it had to be 3 things.

1. ext cab is a must
2. 5 speed tranny (unless 4x4)
3. NO TAN/Light color interior! i hate it....i want a dark graphite interior.

...the tough decision came to this.....a fuel saving 2.2 5 speed, or a 4x4 to have fun in and be able to explore something else besides the lowered community....but at the cost of MPG.....

Well, i decided to go with a 4x4 because

1. my first truck was a 4x4 86 toyota pickup and it was fun.
2. when it snows (rarely does but we get some) or when it rains i want the ability to go anywhere i want and generally a "truck" any idea how long its been since i drove up a curb?...i forgot the feeling.

now, not just any 4x4 will do, i wanted a ZR2, might as well right? if a clean 2.2 s10 5 speed came up, i'll take that offer, well ended up finding this zr2 on craigslist. its a 2000 s10 ZR2 with 129K, and flowmaster? exhaust (have to check), and slight rust but nothing crazy. My pet peeve is interior, i cant stand a broken ass interior and this one surprisingly had a well kept interior and garage kept in its lifetime.

so it started off as this, $5,000

Then turned into this.

Interior wasnt too bad, no cracked panels or dash, but just a little dusty.

the extent of the rust is this.

followed by "hot spots" under the cab.

Nothing crazy right? i know my sonoma wasnt this pretty from the start and took a bit of work to get where its at (and still not done) so with this i plan on undercoating all of it like i did my sonoma to regain some "black" under the truck. basically i want to get rid of all the old dirt, so i can put new dirt. and in the process deal with any issues that arises.

Now i did inspect mine and find out it DOES have the notorious zr2 frame crack, i will have to tackle this sometime as i gain knowledge of IRS suspensions. but now its just a crack (some rust highlighting the crack) but has not started to separate or open...so just a crack. From what I've read even if it was never off-roaded the crack still appears from street driving....

So, this truck will be detailed up and down like my sonoma, BUT will be used as a truck (not abused) and i wont be afraid to get it dirty.

so let the dealing begin!!

STEP 1, remove old ass hood insulation/dust collector

STEP 2, detail interior. I wiped all the dirt/dust off the door jambs and rubber seals, its the little details that count. (view of stepdads yellow truck i was borrowing until i found one to drive to work)

STEP 3, stand back and appreciate your work :cool:

next, degrease time! to the left, old tranny fluid from a leaking output seal...to the right, just hot water sprayed on it from a garden hose. telling you guys, hot water is the shit! now i can tell if that seal leaks or not.

i did give that engine bay a bath.....but just a bath to get rid of dust/dirt...nothing crazy (and forgot to take a pic). removed the bug deflector as well.

so after a quick bath i had to take side by side pics.

amazing height difference lol.

I got them both to fit in the garage.....but i have too much shit on the side, like spare 2.2 motor on stand, engine lift, then the compressor on the left, and welder....i need to figure something out. at least maybe paint a line to follow with the tire or maybe a dot on the wall to aim a headlight to prevent any accidental mirror shaving...

So as you can see, i have plenty of work ahead of me....but i plan on making it into a clean daily to drive around and have fun. lift kit for now is out of the question due to MPG reasons, but i do plan on building front/rear bumpers for it and a few other things. open to any suggestions guys!

oh and the owner didnt have the key to the hitch...guess my plasma will make quick work of it, but for now its staying.

·
The Chop Shop
419 Posts
Wow,5k seems like alot.Just saw a nice ZR-2,123K, on Craigslist for $1,100.Needed minor work,but still a better deal than what I paid for mine($2,500).Yours looks pretty good though.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
around here dont be surprised to see a clean sonoma going for 8K...all stock with a hard top tonneau cover (clean like immaculate)

but here the s10 trucks sell for a lot more than in other parts of the country. not sure why but they do. an average needs some TLC truck goes for 2-3K, anything in the nice range is 4-7K, and 4x4 can go for even more.

Personally i dont care what it costs....i get what i like and couldnt pass this one up. im talking about 2 months looking in Craigslist and other sites for something worthy.....all shit.....and when i do find a good truck it has that damn light colored interior, rusted completely out, or its an auto 4 cyl ext cab....if i have to put up with an automatic it might as well be the v6.

·
Extended cab or no cab.
19,979 Posts
Looks good! I agree on the price sounding high but I believe that you looked around a lot before making a decision. Do you do customer detail jobs yet? Might be worth the drive down, lol.

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never done any "customer" details but i wouldnt mind doing it.

tomorrow i am buffing the paint on it and getting rid of all the scratches from improper washing.

·
Ridin' on Twankies
3,621 Posts
Truck looks great! I know you're going to detail this thing, and paint and undercoat and it will be VERY nice and clean, and a simple, yet effective daily driver that isnt scared to get dirty, and do its job as a truck.

I need a favor.. a weird yet simple task.

i bought a 2000 sonoma. missing the headliner, and the latch cover you notice that covers the little striker bolted to the roof itself..

I bought a headliner for a non 3rd door, obviously it isn't the same, but i want to see how its cutout behind that little plastic trim panel if you can remove it for me, and take a picture with it off and on, that would be GREAT!

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I have been looking at the Z's and I'm just next state over and they carry a price tag. And I like yours. I hope you get this one as clean as the Sonoma. Just don't neglect the Sonoma since you got the Z lol.

·
"Da Dog"
1,090 Posts
Nice truck!! Can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Subscribed.

·
Slowly but eventually
2,961 Posts
Another truck for me to be jealous of!

Sub'd

·
51,328 Posts
looks like a good find..i'm in the process of trying to find a 4 door blazer or crewcab colorado for a daily...although it'd be nice to find a crew cab zr2, i think i'd want a little more room than an extended cab though..looking forward to seeing your updates.

·
KentuckyMinis.com
4,199 Posts
I loved my old 2000 blazer zr2, but I kep getting the itch to lift it and etc. I couldn't get anyone to bite on it for a $4,000 cash price. But I did end up making out on a trade.

Interior looks good, I dig your project threads. Because you don't cheap out on the little shit.

1 - 20 of 1241 Posts
About this Discussion
1.2K Replies
133 Participants
AlexF2294
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing