S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Longbeds FTMFW
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a bead roller so I can finish my bed. It is not a very expensive one, so if it gets me through my bed, I will be happy with it. My plan is basically to roll the body line on the inner bedsides, and to do some panels in the floor. So, I have been playing around with it on some scrap, trying to get a feel for it.

And now I have a couple questions for you guys who do this more/for a living:

1. When I roll a bead and try to make turns, the bead loses its definition on the tight-side of the bend. Why would that happen? The more I think about it, I forgot to tighten the bolt on the adjustable roller, so maybe it was deflecting a little..

2. How do you guys start you bead/or flange a certain distance into the panel? For instance, when you guys roll boxes into a panel, the box doesnt start from the edge of the panel...

3. When you mark out the bead you want to roll, do you follow the lines you drew right into the dyes you are using, or do you try to line your marks up with the edge of the dye?

4. Going back to rolling bends, is there a rule of thumb for how tight the radius can be?

Here is the roller I bought.

·
*Just Do It*
1,059 Posts
1.Check the adjustable roller like you said. And if not, are you keeping the panel flat when you go around the turns?
2.I usually draw what I wanted to bead roll with a sharpie 3" in from the sides, pick a point that's the most hidden if possible and just crank it down. So basically start on your line in the panel.
3. I made the line the bead roll.
4. I usually 1 1/2" radius or larger. The smaller you go the harder to do

And lastly, practice!!! Its quite a skill to be good at, your not going to be a Jamie Jordan over night or anything, but practice. Bead rolled panels can really make sheet metal stand out in a good way. And they can in a bad way too...l don't be that guy. Lol

·
Longbeds FTMFW
8,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you build your roller, or buy one?

I have been looking around, and it seems like A LOT of people modify these rollers. Wandering what your setup is for the screw that pushes down on the top roller. Do you have a handwheel on it, or just a screw (like mine has)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts