S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here's my thing. last night, i put the key in my truck, turn to start it, and the chime is real weak....when i try to turn it on, there's nothin. so i try to get a jump, and it still does the same thing. i take it to autozone, they test it, and say its just fine.
so, pissed off, i leave, put the battery in the cab to mess with the next day. i go back today, hook it up, and the volt gage reads about 8 or 9. chime is weak again... my guess is the battery is gone, and its just not holding charge anymore? what do yall think?

K

·
0 Posts
you might have a current draw on the system..like something is coming on.. and draining the battery..what year is it again?? ...that is the only thing i can think of..unless...you have a bad cell in the battery

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
The voltage reading is with the truck not running I assume. Does it go up to about 13.5 or 14 with the truck started? If the voltage doesn't go up with the truck started then the charging system is the problem and the battery is probably good (unless you fried it by driving the truck without the charging system operating.) Remember, the battery is just for starting the truck....after the truck is started you run off the alternator.

Hope this helps you out!

·
Resident *******
11,267 Posts
You should also check all the battery cables. make sure there is no corrosion, and make sure they are all connected properly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the voltage reading was with the truck off, yes. i couldnt get a reading with it on, because i couldnt get it on!!:thumbup:

regardless, i bought a new battery, and all is well. i didnt believe the guy at autozone because when i went out the next day, the volt gage read about 8 or 9 again, even after the guy charged it to about 13 the night before. so i figured it was just screwed and not holding charge or something.

edit: i always watch my gauges, and my volt reading is always around 13-14, so my charging system has been working just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts