S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a new truck, and the left signal didn't work due to the signal switch being broken. I changed the switch out with one from a manual truck that had cruise (new truck does not) and at that point the temperature gauge stopped working, fuel gauge, the gear indicator stopped working, and the battery light came on. after some thinking, I decided to get a switch without the cruise. I have just installed the new switch, and the only thing that it fixed is the gear indicator, the only thing I didn't care about because I'm taking the gauge cluster from my manual parts truck because it has the tach on it. When the battery light came on I tried swapping the alternator from my manual truck which I had no issues with. when that didn't fix that I took the multimeter out and the battery holds a charge properly, the alternator is charging at 14 volts. Does the wisdom of the internet have any suggestions?

TL;DR
Temp gauge, fuel gauge, don't work, battery light on, all happened after changing the signal switch, alternator charges at 14 volts, battery holds charge at 12 volts.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Does the wisdom of the internet have any suggestions?
Go back over what you did with the multifunction switch. Your problems arose after you were in there.
Its a good idea, to get the wiring diagrams. It really helps with figuring which circuits share a common path. Rather than playing the guessing game or hoping someone else will have the miracle answer for you.

Tools needed for most electrical problems.
Multimeter or test light probe
Wiring diagram
Patience and determination. :D

Its always recommended to include the year and make of vehicle when asking for help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having similar issue. recently replaced alternator, battery light keeps coming on and going off. charging voltage Ok, battery tested fine by Advance Auto. Starts fine. No idea why the light is coming on.

·
Registered
514 Posts
What year is the truck. Engine trans options etc. A wiring diagram often sheds some light on the situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts