S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 488 Posts

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok since body dropping is a hot topic lately, and Mini Truckin' magezine did an article on the subject earlier this year, I'm taking the liberty to post it here.

So here is the article in it's entirety. It was published in the December 01, January 02, and February 02 issues, pages 38-41, 16-18, and 16-18 respectively. While it was a decent article, it did have a few downfalls that will be discussed in the following posts.

Click the thumbs for biggers images..

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The area in question is when they section the rear cab wall, and overlap the 4" of metal and use about 5 tubes of seam sealer and sheet metal screws to hold everything together. The proper way is to overlap the two sections about 1/4" and weld the seam shut, then apply seam sealer over it to keep everything water tight.

Also in this article they body dropped the bed 2" more than they needed to, then added 2" spacers underneath the mounting points. This is done to minimize cutting through the bed floor for frame and suspesion components.

If you have anything to add to this article, please do.

If you have any questions pertaining to the subject, please ask.

Any posts other will be deleted so please, keep it clean. Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but how is the firewall done? That is the only part holding me back from doing my truck.

Are you supposed to cut across the firewall too or did they just slit the floor up to the firewall? I think this is one of the hardest and maybe most important obstacles.

·
Beyond Basic.
2,295 Posts
ogh.. id never do that myself.. id go half way through and be all like.. UHHHHHHHH what now?

·
Registered
370 Posts
yes, you have to section out the firewall as well, the same amount as the bodydrop. 3" Drop = 3" section...

We bodydropped my friends 1st gen. Lots of work.

Plan on tubbing your firewall too for your tires.

·
Draggin body member
1,134 Posts
I have 17s, never had to tub my firewall??? BUT LMAO now i have 18s and were tubbing it! Dont tub it unless you have to,or plan on getting bigger wheels. The b/d itself is not really that tough, just all the exact measuring, welding is tough because there is so much of it, other than that its a walk in the park!!

Josh Schatz

"XTREMEMACHINES", Even our cell phones are primered

·
Registered
370 Posts
how much did you drop it? We did 3.5"

·
_-¯xcess [ )raggage
226 Posts
i'm in the process of Body Dropping mine, bed is done, pinch molding is shaved, just chopped the frame off last night. only bad part is i can only work on it a couple hours a night(at someone elses garage)

·
Draggin body member
1,134 Posts
How much of a b/d

We did a 4.5" on my new gen s10. We overlapped the back of the cab .5" we have done it about that on all the body drops, 2 toyotas and 2 s10s, everything has held up fine!

·
Registered
370 Posts
hey s15, got any pics of you body dropping you 1st gen bed? We are going to be dropping my friends shortly...any heads up?

·
_-¯xcess [ )raggage
226 Posts
sorry, no pics yet, i was gonna do a tech thing w/ pics, but i didnt have a camera, so....

headsup., hmmm, well i took the bulkhead piece off the bed completely, i cut the bed high near the rail, and then cut down when i got to the back right at the bend, then strait back on the bed floor. it wasnt easy by any means, but it wasnt really that bad. i wouldnt recommend doing this unless you have patience...

·
little pink pink
5,036 Posts
Re: How much of a b/d

drag_it said:
We did a 4.5" on my new gen s10. We overlapped the back of the cab .5" we have done it about that on all the body drops, 2 toyotas and 2 s10s, everything has held up fine!
how do you bd it 4.5inches and overlap it 5" that doesn't make sense!

Attachments

·
Draggin body member
1,134 Posts
yeah sorry 1/2" over lap my bad. That shopping cart is cool, ill take some pics of mine its b/d to about 1/16" off the ground and it rolls fine! also getting air shocks on it( shocks that hold up a hatch on a car)

·
LOWERED 12.75" Bit<h
413 Posts
this is a nice ?

heres a nice question... what happens to the interior panels.. dosent the body go down and the floor go up? if so the panels are going to have to be shortened. and the extra cab seats can not be reinstalled?:bash:

1 - 20 of 488 Posts