S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody taken there truck back to the dealer to install the new balance shaft kit? If so, how did you make out? How long did you have to give up your vehicle? Did the dealer give you any flack as to getting it done under warrenty?

I am wanting to take mine in to get rid of that annoying rattle and just wanted get all the info I can.

Thx in advance

·
Registered
619 Posts
if there is something wrong with it, its pretty serious for several reasons
1. metal going through your motor
2. improper balancing is very harmful to the motor

what year motor is this and how many miles

what are they giving you flack about, its a warranty issue with out a doubt, its one of the last thing to go bad from abuse.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Its not too bad if you only have a 2wd, its a timing chain tensioner that goes on the timing chain to get rid of the torsional vibration. What they have to do is remove the front differential (4wd) remove the oil pan, remove the fan, water pump, fanshroud, timing cover. Install the timing chain tensioner and back together again. I cant really tell you how long its going to take because it varies with the truck but its usually 4-5 hours with 2wd and about 8 hours with 4wd. If your truck is still under waranty then no, they shouldent give you any flack. hope this helps some...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck is a 2003 ZR2 that has 11000 Kms on it. The dealer I purchased the vehicle from did't realize that a new kit was released from GM to fix this noise. It is probably a good omen to not take my truck back to this dealer and try and find one that has done a couple balance shaft kits. I don't really want to take a new vehicle in and have the front of the engine taken apart. You never know if you are going to get a mechanic that is in a hurry and isn't really putting 100% into the job at hand.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
Too bad its 4wd that really sucks for the mechanic that winds up with that one. Also keep your eye on oil leaks from the timing cover after they have done the bulletin. The way the kit is designed is it sandwiches between the block and timing cover, I dident like how the gasket surface area wasent flat anymore when I did them, Havent seemed to have leaked yet though...:gayflag:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts