S-10 Forum banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Real nice job. I have the exact same truck except with the 5 speed. I’m not restoring it, it is an all-original survivor. It is however getting paint cause it’s very tired although it’s not rusty. Are the suspension components on these the same as non-baja s trucks? I want to do a small suspension lift and larger tires but info is a bare minimum on these little gems. I call mine a baby square body.
The suspension in comparison is practically the same. The torsion bars and leaf springs have a different load rated capacity. The shocks are not really special but they are Bilstein edition.
For the lift, the rear leaf spring shackle can be replaced to make the bed higher. The torsion bar keys can be replaced if the stock keys don't raise the front enough for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Makes my heart happy to see trucks like this, that went unnoticed for decades, start to garner more appeal.
How’s the project coming along?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Makes my heart happy to see trucks like this, that went unnoticed for decades, start to garner more appeal.
How’s the project coming along?
Thank you for asking.

It has been stalled for 7 months. The upholstery shop has not returned my dash that they wrapped in Sep 2019. I sent it back Sep 2020 because it looked like *** to be honest.
Every week it's one excuse or another.
Also the body shop where my car was painted. Misplaced the engine cowl. I found it in the back of another car they were restoring. Well that was last Aug 2020. As of Monday it still has not been painted.
Trying to be patient so I get a quality product, but it isn't easy

·
Old Fart
4,491 Posts
Body shops! :(:mad:

Reactions: Boolair

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Finally have a positive updates.
-The body shop finally returned my cowl panel.
-The upholstery shop finished my seats a few months back and now my door panels. I am hoping for the dashboard so I can actually get this project further along

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
What are they doing with the dash?
Well, I am not a priority because I paid for it two years ago.

I cannot piss them off at this point, it would be useless and not to my advantage. I have expressed my concerns and disappointment in the timeline.

If it wasn't important to keep the matching interior panels I would have found a junkyard replacement by now.
This was the second company to have this dash panel and other interior parts. I should have never paid in full, but it's to late for that.

It won't be the end of my case once I get the dash back. I can complain and and request a refund for my time and inconvenience once I have the panel in my possession.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It’s looking really great 👍. As it’s coming together, and getting close to being done, are you wishing you had done anything differently?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
It’s looking really great 👍. As it’s coming together, and getting close to being done, are you wishing you had done anything differently?
Sorry for delayed Response. Yes, I wish I had used a different upholstery shop.
First shop 8 month no materials. 2nd shop took a year to finish all seats and door panels. And they have had my dash for three years. They effed it up twice and now empty promises every week. I am really pissed off, but waiting patiently since it's the original dash and was paid for three years ago. The original is important to me because it has a production number on the back part.
I have had my truck ready to run for two years. It was field stripped for blasting and paint over a year ago.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I embarked on a challenge to overhaul my Baja, in April 2019.
Everything went smoothly at first. I had nearly all the parts and the majority of the overhaul within six months.
Who knew paint and body would take a year? Who knew that an upholstery shop, could make so many excuses for two years?

I finally received the dash panel from the upholstery shop. The dash coincidentally was the first part I removed two years ago that inspired the overhaul adventure.
Furniture Couch Wood Comfort Floor
Automotive tire Hood Textile Bag Grey

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
685 Posts
Glad you finally got it back, it looks great, but 2 years… Give me 2 years and I could make a dash look good too… When you pop back in a month or two make sure to bring plenty of pictures with you!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Glad you finally got it back, it looks great, but 2 years… Give me 2 years and I could make a dash look good too… When you pop back in a month or two make sure to bring plenty of pictures with you!
Thank you for your response and input. I hope by Thanksgiving I can focus on the restoration. Truck hasn't been touched since Feb when I moved.
I will never see the value of this truck in the amount of money I have invested. Sad, but definitely an experience I am happy to have started.
I am hoping to travel around the States and enter car/truck shows one day.we shall see?

·
Boozebag
9,968 Posts
Good to hear you're back on the plan.
True, that you will never see a return for the investment, but it does look totally amazing.
I guess the real reward is knowing you did it all on your own.
"Love of labor"? (y)

81 - 94 of 94 Posts