S-10 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Today was the day to add the fluids to the front and rear differentials, engine oil, transmission, and transfer case. All cleaned and flushed to ensure a fresh start.

A successful engine prime for the first time, ensuring all the lifters were pushing oil up to the rockers. Now the rocker covers are closed tight.
I started installing the accessories on the front of the engine. Alt and P/S pump

Had one extremely disappointing leak on the front axle driver's side short shaft cover. It's a decent leak that drips about once every 10-15 minutes. Glad it has a warranty from the shop who overhauled the bad ring/pinion gear. They were chipped and the bearing races were overheated.

*Unfortunately I have to take a break for a while. My wife is forcing me to go to Hawaii to visit her family.
?‍♂??

·
Been there Done it
9,201 Posts
Don't you just hate it when the old lady insists you go on vacation to HI. Mine keeps bugging me to go and I tell her how much I love the 20° temps this time of year. Maybe in Jan when it's -20°.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,649 Posts
Don't you just hate it when the old lady insists you go on vacation to HI. Mine keeps bugging me to go and I tell her how much I love the 20° temps this time of year. Maybe in Jan when it's -20°.
Have you been there yet? It's a wonderful place that puts you at ease as soon as you get off the plane.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Have you been there yet? It's a wonderful place that puts you at ease as soon as you get off the plane.
Unless your wife is from HI and it's family this and family that. ??
Not to much aloha and lots of people to visit.
My ideal vacation is the wife goes to HI (w/o me) and I stay home with my dogs and tinker on my hobbies. No family, no stress, save money for hobbies. ????

·
Been there Done it
9,201 Posts
Did a 60 day TDY there in 66 at Barbers Point. When I was there it was a really uptight Sat Com (among other things)
base. The locals would said "You don't go there braddah!" You have to remember how high tech and classified satellite communication was in the mid 60's. The security is why the AF used Barbers Point for our little project. Think really big boom.
I understand it's a surfing school now.
Did layovers at Hickam to and from SEA and honeymooned there.
I was being facetious when I asked if you hated going to such a perfect climate.
Here it was 12 -27° today. Honolulu was 80-85° today.
My dream is to move to the big island and ski in the morning, surf in the afternoon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
(Latest Installation photos/progress)
Back from the Aloha state! It's almost time to get back on the Baja restoration project. I received a few parts while I was in Hawaii. Always nice to come home to parts!
Arrived- Hydraulic components for the power steering system and electrical components for the ignition system.

* As a courtesy to me and anyone with particular skills. All are welcome to view, comment, and ask questions on my project. I just wanted to remind you all that I am restoration this "Baja" to factory specs as best as I can. I do not want to mod the truck if I can avoid it. However, I will voluntarily mention the changes I have made from stock.
One-(very noticeable change) The chassis was painted with a durable liner coating and not powder coated. Why? I took into consideration the longevity of the liner to hold up to the elements of nature.
Two-(very Noticeable) The vacuum hose is silicone and not the standard rubber hose. Why? Silicone has a long life span, heat tolerant, less likely to crack and rot from usual elements of nature.
Three- The front differential Ring and Pinion were chipped, and the damage was seen throughout the gear assembly. I chose parts manufactured by Youkon Gear ( same ratio size 3.42). Why? The GM parts are still very high for these gears. ($600 carrier) and ($400 for the ring/pinion).
Four- The 700R4 tranny overhaul was an aftermarket kit. Why? GM parts were not as durable as the aftermarket.
Five- The 4.3L engine overhaul was an aftermarket Kit. Why? The engine needed refreshing. The block was machined and decked; heads were ported with new guides and larger diameter exhaust valves. The goal was for the 4,3L to breathe a little easier. The stock cam is a billet cam for this engine. The cam was the only component that was not replaced. Why? The cam specs showed very little wear and not enough to ever worry about. The cam was polished, and new bearings were installed. Also, for the inquiring minds? I did not have any interest in trying to gain more HP out of this 4.3L. Why? When controlled by the factory ECM and Factory TBI, it will still retard the specs as it was designed.

·
time to get cereal
3,694 Posts
Nice! This just reminds me of how I should be making more progress on my Grand Am though. Engine has been on the stand for way too long.

·
Old Fart
3,987 Posts
Nice! This just reminds me of how I should be making more progress on my Grand Am though. Engine has been on the stand for way too long.
I know the feeling, my 57 has been on jack stands way too long but unfortunately the DD comes first. :cry:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Today, I finished up adding the engine mounted accessories and the serpentine belt.

One step closer to finishing the powertrain. I have only a few more items I am waiting on or need to finish installing.
1. Parts to overhaul the Carb/TBI
2. Flushing the power steering lines.
3. Re-seal the front axle short shaft housing.

Lesson learned: I placed the trans cooler lines and the torque converter cover on a few weeks back. These two items interfere with the starter installation/removal.
Here is why: Where the front axle mounts to the chassis does not allow enough room for the starter to slip up into the gap and fit into the converter cover opening.
What I had to do: Remove the fittings where the trans cooler lines connect to the transmission case and also remove the bolt that clamps the trans cooler lines to the converter cover case. This action allows just enough clearance to when the converter cover bolts are removed to slide the cover down enough allowing the starter to fit into position.
(*Also) The trans cooler lines interfere with the installation and removal of the starter (inner) bolt. Leave the trans cooler lines disconnected during the install/removal process.

Hypothetically, let us say that you needed to remove the entire torque converter cover (*for whatever reason)? That front driveshaft and the trans cooler lines are in the way. Two options present itself.
1. Disconnect and remove the transmission cooler lines (both ends) to allow the cover to slide down and left.
2. Remove the front driveshaft at either one of the yokes; this will enable the converter cover to slide down and to the right for removal/installation.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I believe the Baja came with the red bow tie though ? I could be wrong .
Correct on the red bow tie , I kept my gold one from the original silver grill

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
More updates to follow the UPS person just arrived with big packages. Should be the major exhaust components, muffler, cat, and Y-pipe?

·
Boozebag
9,336 Posts
I would be afraid to drive this rig in the rain, let alone any other kind of slop.
It's going to be WAY too nice to abuse!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
I received the entire exhaust system.
Installation Note: For easier installation, remove the front driveshaft before installing the Y-pipe. The exhaust should be installed from Y-pipe to the tailpipe at the individual sections. and removed in reverse order.
I decided on how I wanted it modified, it takes a little longer than just purchasing a kit to install.
I used a series of preparation steps that involved degreasing and removing label stickers. (There are way too many stickers attached to these pipes, what a headache.)
The exhaust is subject to excessive corrosion attack with the exposure of dissimilar materials and the elements of mother nature. To aid and slow down the process, I used an ultra-high temp "flat black" paint for the topcoat. Plus this will also camouflage the exhaust once installed.
I opted to change the stock muffler (bulky GM muffler) and elected the smaller more aggressive sound from the Magnaflow series 44 muffler.
** Not quite finished as I am still working out the final hanger locations as well as bridging the gap between the tailpipe and the aftermarket muffler.

exhaust components.jpg
walker Y-pipe and cat installed.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
It's been a few months since I made a post.
All has been going well. The entire power train and chassis are completed until I can get the cab goes back on.
Currently every body panels is with the body shop. Having everything undercoated, and painted. All that body filler was dried out and cracked. Prime reason for all the water leakage into the cab.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Slow progress being made on the body work. Still have a few hard to find parts for the Baja and not an aftermarket accessory just straight up Baja.

·
Registered
1985 s10 4x4 4spd
50 Posts
Terrific project you got going here. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm new to the forum, so I love getting to read some of these threads as they resurface. Searching, so many from the past never got finished, I don't think this one will be one of those. ;)

41 - 60 of 78 Posts