S-10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
the new guy
906 Posts
this is a cool thread. I would love to do the same type of restoration on a vehicle but I am not focused enough to keep at it. I am already having troubles just putting the engine back into the 92 s10 in the driveway

·
Old Fart
3,987 Posts
I will be watching as well, nice so far. I have one question, why didn't you powder coat the frame? It probably wouldn't have cost more than the raptor coating and would have looked better and more like the stock paint?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
this is a cool thread. I would love to do the same type of restoration on a vehicle but I am not focused enough to keep at it. I am already having troubles just putting the engine back into the 92 s10 in the driveway
My suggestion would be to remove the fenders and front radiator support. A lot easier than you think ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Great project ! I’ll keep watching . My 88 actually has an OEM Baja black chrome grill , the real deal . I bought it soon after I purchased my S-10 in 88 , hated the silver grill from the get go .
Would you mind sharing a photo of the black chrome grill? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The restoration is going well. Just waiting on the fuel lines to finish up the fuel system.

The rear parking brake cables, to finish the rear brakes.
Once the rear differential is complete, then the power/drive train is ready to go.

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I believe the Baja came with the red bow tie though ? I could be wrong .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I will be watching as well, nice so far. I have one question, why didn't you powder coat the frame? It probably wouldn't have cost more than the raptor coating and would have looked better and more like the stock paint?
Thanks for your input. It is always good to have an outside perspective.
The thought process... (not my best), I agree with you and note this as a lessoned learned. The raptor liner is advertised as a hardened protective coating for the bed. I hoped it would protect the frame as well? In Washington, the weather is a breeding ground for rust. and this truck was held together by a lot of rust.
I went back-forth on the powder coating, painting, and undercoating of the frame. Whether I powder coated, painted or raptor lined the frame and attaching components they were going to eventually chip?
I elected to media blast, acid prime, raptor liner. After the results of a few weeks, I added a black Chassis paint to the exposed areas that were starting to chip. Then I used the (rubber) undercoating and found this was much more durable. This truck had a factory rubber coat on the frame. but it was deteriorated over the past thirty years.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
No problem with sharing the black chrome grille. https://flic.kr/p/2hko3Y1
Good choice on that grille. It works well with your appearance. Mine is the 91' has an all one-piece headlight/grille assembly. There is also a crosshatch pattern to protect the cooling system. I will try and figure out a way to have it in a hardened ABS plastic. The current ABS plastic flexes and warps, I think it looked like arse when I removed it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Installed the Power Train. Enjoy the progress? I have had a blast thus far.

Every piece of the drivetrain has been opened inspected, measured and ensured it is as close to factory specification as I can get it. (minus the oversized pistons and head porting). I have a solid listing of every component; blueprinting along with balancing the driveshafts to ensure another 30 years of life.
* I advise anyone to use extreme caution if ever torquing the Rear leaf spring suspension per the factory manual. It leaves out one important caution note: You can literally lose your head when releasing the tension of the springs after torquing the shackles and eyebolts.
I damn near needed a MISHAP report from the frame bounce while releasing that tension.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts