S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
5.7L Vortec V8
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, I know I can bag a v8 I am looking for ADVICE, TIPS, LINKS and pictures. The motor that's going in has a decent amount of torque. I'd like to be able to lay out and still be able to stomp on the gas and move and not hop!. I looked at Art Morrisons site.. doesn't have prices I may give them a call. I've heard competition engineering.. I need some help guys.

I am looking at either parallel or tri. Where would be the optimum bag location. I am not lookin for bs so please don't post unless you have experience or info. Thanks.

MAXIMIZE MY TRACTION

O.. and please don't tell me that I can't lay out and have fun in the same truck. I will! So just help me get there..

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Here's my opinion.

Get a parallel 4 link, with some sort of locator, like a diagonal link, or watts link. You can do a panhard bar if you really want to, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Bags... Get some F9000 bags and put them over or behind the axle.

Get some nice shocks, like Doetsch Tech's or Belltech Nitro Actives and mount them as close to the wheels as possible, like in the stock location if ya can.

·
currently truckless
507 Posts
parallel 4 link, like jasons. youll have to put a fuel cell in. bags over the axle will give you the stiffest ride, which would probly help plant the rear

I

·
0 Posts
I used a parrell four link Ill tell you how good it works in about 5 days when it should roll out of my garage. My uncle knows a bunch about classic cars and all that shit he showed me how to set it up for optimum traction. Just have the four bars equal length and parrell to the gorund at drive height and have the panhard parrell to the ground at drive height also this as Ive been told is the best set up for traction. if you do like I did you will have to drop the gas tank and move it. I plan to put a blazer gas tank in the rear of my frame which will also wieght behind the axle for traction.

Or you can be like what a local "custom shop" told me "oh hell put a reverse four link in, they're great"."yeah theres no axle hop on that toyota" points to 80's four bangn' toy.*warning sarcasim coming* Whoa you mean it can keep 82 horepower from hopping when you slam it, yipee.

But I asked if I could get more traction they told me there is no way to really give a truck good traction. And they told me I would never be able to install a bag kit on my truck myself, so soon as I finish my set up I want to go to their shop and be like, what now biatch

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
Its not the optimum way to locate the axle, because it pushes and pulls the axle as you go up and down, including normal daily driving when you hit bumps and make turns and shit. Diagonal links and watts links don't do this.

I

·
0 Posts
hmm so if I put a wishbone like off a tri 4 link it would be better

wouldn't the diagonal like have to be same length as my parrell link otherwise it would bind when you like go around the corner and the body rolls

·
SIC-Founder & WA Ch. Head
1,687 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a parallel and a panhard. As long as you make the panhard bar as long as possible, deflection will be minimized....We're talking like 1/2" through the full range of motion..not a big deal. How much power are we talking about here? If this is a street runner, 300-400 hp, a triangulated 4-link will give you killer performance too. Set up properly, you wont get any hop and you'll hook 100% better than any leafspring setup. I'm pushing right around 380 hp, and my tri 4-link does the job more than adequately. The only time I have any traction issues is on wet pavement and snow...lol...

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

theres a watts link.

I

·
0 Posts
sorry if I was dogging a tri link but a guy I know has it on his older toy and he says it hops like crazy when he drops the clutch, but I forgot he has the bags on the bars so he drives at a extremely low psi, so it would hop, I assueme. and he installed it himself, Hmmmm could be part of the problem.

I

·
0 Posts
I know I cant wait But Ill have to buy another truck to put it on hehehe I better start looking now. Time to start hitting police auctions and Wheels & Deals (local paper might extend out of Cali I have no clue)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
suicidedoors.com said:
triangulated parrallel link. you will see. we are building one soon.
that would be a tricky bolt on

·
not a such a fatso anymor
883 Posts
If you set the panhard properly you should not have any trouble I have seen some done very improperly and then I have seen and done them properly. you can get very minimal movement if do right. long bar hig and low in the right places you can minimize things alot. BUT a watts link is probably one of the BEST not to mention COOLEST working and looking.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
watts are fun. im almost finished gathering up the needed material for my install. should be finished this weekend

·
Audi Tech
2,485 Posts
Damn, theres some nice info, if any of you have any pics of setups, those would be great to see as well. Definatly interested to see what Jason is building

·
VVVthat thing is deadVVV
4,185 Posts
shoot me, i don't understand how a watts link works. somebody explain. im sure it's simple enough.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts