S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Slingin ink
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i want to bag my rear and i have a few questions.
1. Is there a bolt on kit that I wont have to cut my bed.Iwas looking at the roadgrater install thread, and he had to cut the bed and tire wells.
2.I have 17 inch zq8 rims now, but i want to get some new 17" rims. what size and backspacing do i need. tire size as well.
I want to lay frame or close to it with just a c-notch

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
If your on 17s you can lay without touching your bed. My '92 once layed completely out when it had 17s on it, but not now since it has 18s..now the bed HAS to be cut out. And that's with a notch in the frame like a 2.5 or 3, tiny but it doesn't hit it, hits the bed first so I have bump..hehehe

A simple lever setup with bars under the frame connecting to the axle..not sure who much you know about the systems so just saying what it looks like, if you know great. ;) and set the bag further away and it'll give you a lot of lift, but you wont be able to carry much of anything in the bed. Or right near the axle and you wont lose much capacity and get good lift without touching the bed and lay out.

For rims you'll need 17x7.5 or 17.8 rims, either with fit good with 4.5 to 4.75 BS. Tire wise, I'd go 245/40/17, just cuz they look good I think or even a little bit bigger like a 45 series or 255/40 might work too.

Nate

·
Slingin ink
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was looking at the airbar setup and it says no c-notch. will i go lower if i get one. and will i be able to use my zq8 wheels for now? i have a step side if that maters.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'm wondering about this as well. I don't want to cut a hole in the bed either. So with my 245-40-18 in back, if I go with the air bar and use a 2.5" c-notch, will I still be around 1-2" off the ground? I'm not looking to lay frame, just get as close as possible. Also with the airbar, does it retain the stock payload capacity? I sometimes haul my sport bike, and that's around 450 lbs plus gear.

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
I don't know how you'd lay with those tires, since I have 225/40/18s and I don't lay with a notch and the pumkin hitting the bed, but I'm 1/4" off the ground in the rear. Not too familiar with the airbar setup though. Think of it this way, if you get a setup that has bags on the axle you should have the same carrying capacity. But if you use a lever setup and mount the bags further from your rearend, the most cap you will lose. But if you have bags over your axle, I'm pretty sure you can't lay without some cutting of your bed.

Nate

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
All of ART's setups as well as the KP bolt on 4 link, or any over the axle setup, will maintain or exceed stock payload capacities.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Audiodogg said:
I don't know how you'd lay with those tires, since I have 225/40/18s and I don't lay with a notch and the pumkin hitting the bed, but I'm 1/4" off the ground in the rear. Not too familiar with the airbar setup though. Think of it this way, if you get a setup that has bags on the axle you should have the same carrying capacity. But if you use a lever setup and mount the bags further from your rearend, the most cap you will lose. But if you have bags over your axle, I'm pretty sure you can't lay without some cutting of your bed.

Nate
What kind of truck do you have? I know I'll probably need 225-40 in front, but in back I should be fine, I think. N20N0MA(98 SS ON NOS) on his old SS had the air bar and 2.5" c-notch with 275-35-18 which is the same diameter as 245-40-18 and I think he was an 1" or so from laying. No hole in bed. I wrote an email to him asking for moe info on his setup. Hopefully he'll respond.

SlammedDime said:
All of ART's setups as well as the KP bolt on 4 link, or any over the axle setup, will maintain or exceed stock payload capacities.

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
I have a '92 S10 Ext Cab, but there's not really much difference between the new S10s and old besides looks...With a 2.5 C-notch..I'm 1/4" from laying the frame in the back and that's with hitting the bed. If I had my bed cut out, I'd be on the ground then.

Nate

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
When baggin you need:

Tanks
Compressor
Hose (air lines)
Fittings and Valves
Wire/connections
Gauges/switches
Bags
Notch or some sort
Cups/plates for bags up front and back
Water seperator/Check valve but those go under valves and fittings.

I think that's a complete list of everything you need. So now just figure out what yo uget with what kit(s) and peice it all together.

If I forgot some thing, somebody will probably say so.

Nate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts