S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going ot bag my 84 s10 with a sd superlift wishbone setup but i need to do something about my gas tank. how hard is it to mount a blazer tank in a s10 frame? will it bolt in if i hunt down some brackets or should i just make my own? pics would be rightous if anyone has any. thanks

·
Hola Bitches
4,858 Posts
from my readings I think you have to extend the gas lines and wires and just make a bracket for the tank or put it in the bed ...more than likely it can fit really snug by the frame with a bracket

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thanks, i knew i had to extrend the lines, but i wasnt sure if it would fit between the rails back there. i know im not puting it in the bed because im runnin my air stuff in there and i think stock tanks are ugly haha. hopefully it wont show like in a blazer. if anyone has any pics that would be dandy to.

·
1,721 Posts
not hard at all
i have 2 crossmembers a 3x3x3/16 out back and a 1x1x.125 up front and used 1/8" aluminum strap found @ home depot to use as straps to keep it up. also put some rubber weatherstripping stuff underneath to keep th noise down

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will like a 98 blazer gas tank work on a 84 s10? im runnign a v8 with a aftermarket fuel pump (mechanical). do they have electric in their tanks? if they do can i just take it out and stick some hose in its place?

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
not 100% sure on 1st gens, but if u get a tank from a blazer close to the same year as yours. your stock sending unit/pump should work in it.
i made 2 cross members front and back then used the stock lower strap from the blazer tank. and made upper straps. really don't have any better pics.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i kind of see it now. the reason i am asking becuase i got a offer to buy a brand new gas tank with sending unit for a 98 blazer and i needed a fuel cell or a blazer tank. im just trying to figure this out before i buy it.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
how tall is a blazer tank? Basicly meaning, will the tank fit back there under the bed floor and not hang to low to possiblly drag? I want to run a blazer tank, but dont want to lose the only piece of open useable bed floor I have right now. :haha: also, what did ya do with the filler neck? where does it com up thru the bed floor at?

Does anyone know, will the stock blazer 4.3 sending unit pump correctly for a 2.2? Since my truck is a 98, that means i have to run a blazer tank thats also 98 or newer right?

·
96' SS bagged on 18's
243 Posts
98layinframe said:
how tall is a blazer tank? Basicly meaning, will the tank fit back there under the bed floor and not hang to low to possiblly drag? I want to run a blazer tank, but dont want to lose the only piece of open useable bed floor I have right now. :haha: also, what did ya do with the filler neck? where does it com up thru the bed floor at?

Does anyone know, will the stock blazer 4.3 sending unit pump correctly for a 2.2? Since my truck is a 98, that means i have to run a blazer tank thats also 98 or newer right?
I would check the sending unit comparisons because i'd say the 4.3 requires more than the 2.2...On a second note from my measurements i am seeing that the tank will fit UNDER the bed floor and the only cutting that is need would be for the filler neck. I'm still trying to figure out how to mount this damn thing and what to mount it with. I got a 96 s10 and i bought a 96 blazer tank and sending unit from a junkyard. I'm still trying to figure it all out as far as mounting goes.

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
shorte_33 said:
I would check the sending unit comparisons because i'd say the 4.3 requires more than the 2.2...On a second note from my measurements i am seeing that the tank will fit UNDER the bed floor and the only cutting that is need would be for the filler neck. I'm still trying to figure out how to mount this damn thing and what to mount it with. I got a 96 s10 and i bought a 96 blazer tank and sending unit from a junkyard. I'm still trying to figure it all out as far as mounting goes.
yeah thats one of the main things i was thinking about.. are the 4.3 and the 2.2 the same ohm, and also would it pump correctly. Maybe i could swap out the pump itself to run the 2.2 pump with the 4.3 sending unit? :dunno:

As for your truck.. did you get the factory tank mounting straps with it? Ya could just reuse those. In your thread you posted awhile ago you said ya had som box tubing you were going to run, that would be plenty strong enough and work quite well.

·
96' SS bagged on 18's
243 Posts
98layinframe said:
yeah thats one of the main things i was thinking about.. are the 4.3 and the 2.2 the same ohm, and also would it pump correctly. Maybe i could swap out the pump itself to run the 2.2 pump with the 4.3 sending unit? :dunno:

As for your truck.. did you get the factory tank mounting straps with it? Ya could just reuse those. In your thread you posted awhile ago you said ya had som box tubing you were going to run, that would be plenty strong enough and work quite well.
Yeah i got the tubing from sd.com. And i purchased the factory tank straps from Autozone, but to be honest i have no clue how they're supposed to mount. They don't even look like tank straps, which is why im so confused. I'm still trying to research how the normal blzer tank mounts to the frame.

·
1,721 Posts
mine sits flush with the bottom of the bed.
i dont think the factory straps will be long enough. one of them may be, but the short one wont.
1/8" aluinum from HD, bend it in a vise to the shape you want, and it fits fine.

·
**** you
9,528 Posts
BIGTOM had one in his 1st gen. I forgot how it was mounted, but it was from a 1st gen blazer, and he had a carbed 350 in it. The dude who did it, just cut a whole in the floor, and ran the filler neck up into the bed, made a metal bracket to hold the filler neck, and an ashtray lol.. yep you read it right, and ashtray next to the filler neck lol

as for it draggin.. we never got the truck on the ground so i couldnt tell ya.. he called it quits and started on the fullsize before we had the shit to bag it. it looks like it hung maybe 1" or so lower than the rollpan. But 1st gens have a smaller rollpan than a 2nd gen, So it would probly be covered completely in a 2nd gen. And im sure you could raise the tank a little to get it to tuck into the bed so you cant see it.

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmm that link helped alot. i really wabted a blazer tank because its bigger i think, but i might try to use the stock one for now till i can afford a fuel cell. thanks

·
96' SS bagged on 18's
243 Posts
I looked at it more last night and did some measuring. The blazer tank could sit about 1.5'' inches about the framerails in the back. By above i mean you could move it up if you had clearance issues as the stock mount spots on the bed those crossmembers that you bolt the bed down with are 2'' inches tall, which means there's a gap about 2" inches between the bed floor and the actual frame. Now i need to get something to mount the tank and i can try to post pictures of mine. I'm going to be welding the crossmembers in tonight.

The length front to back of the tank is 22 inches or a little less, and the total length that i have BEHIND my notch is 27 so it's going to be close.....I'll get pictures as soon as i get rolling on this.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts