S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 63 BBW short bed fleet side for a song and brought it home today. I've got boxes and boxes of new parts that were included to inventory beefier I can get started but from talking to the PO I shouldn't need anything "big" beyond headers and a radiator. It came from a good friend who spent about $20k in parts and then lost interest and I've seen most of the receipts. It came with a brand new turn key 350 and 4l60e with everything needed to complete the install with the exception of the previous mentioned parts but I’m leaning towards selling those and going 6.0LS and t56 I can sell the motor and trans for more than I’ve got in the entire package so I’d do ok selling it I suppose . I’ll add more details tomorrow

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I have just about the best neighbors you could hope for. Three of them saw us unloading the truck and came over to help. They are all used to my shenanigans at this point since I'm know as the guy who is always building something in the garage whether it be furniture, general garage crap or now a truck most everyone who walks by always stops to say hi and see what I'm up to in any given day.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No big updates really. I got it up on jack stands in the garage and started doing an inventory of what I have. I'm going to have to put everything in a spreadsheet cause there are just so many parts. While digging through everything I found a stack of parts receipts totaling $18,218.17 and from comparing the receipts against my inventory list that total is still less than what I have in parts and that doesn't even include the cost of the truck!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plans are to sell the motor/trans that came with it and toss a 6.0 and t56 in it for now with eventual twin turbos down the road or maybe sooner depending on what I can profit from selling the parts I'm not going to use. I am selling the wheels and tires that came with it even though they are brand new they aren't my style at all nor do they fit the low and fast look that I want.

I've already made a deal on a ATK built "460hp" 6.0 crate motor complete top to bottom and front to back including the harness and already tuned ECU for $2k from my mom's boyfriend and there is a local place selling low mile t56's for $1200-1500 so I figure I should be able to get the 6.0/t56 combo in the truck for under $5k including rad and exhaust if I do the harness modification myself to make it a 4 wire hookup and he has HPtuners so he is going to remove/modify the things I need done for me so I'll save some money there as well.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Such a sweet truck. One of my favorite years. It's too bad you're not closer, I wouldn't mind having the motor and trans.
Roadtrip!!

Found a little time over the last couple evenings while the wife has been out of town to get a couple small things done.

I cleaned the cab out and did a quick wire wheel of the floor to figure out which patch panels I need to order.

Driver side

Passenger side

And then pulled the windshield out. I have a new one and this one was destroyed so I figured I'd get it outta the way and allow a little extra fresh air and light into the cab while I'm in there.

It's only got one small rust area around the windshield which isn't to bad at all luckily.

I'll get my patch panels ordered after I figure out how much I am spending on xmas gifts but for now I am going to start working on getting the front suspension put together.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Those 60-66 are one of my favorite body styles now that I’m older. When I was younger I thought they were butt ugly lol. I think you’ll love the 6.0 and t56 in it, even without twins it should be plenty of power for that truck. I have a stock lq9 in my 04 escalade with almost a quarter million miles on it and it still runs like it did when it was new, doesn’t leak or burn anything, plenty of power and I’ve been able to pull 21 mpg hwy with it in a 5500lb awd truck.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^I agree with you that without the turbos it should be plenty of power and those likely won't happen for a year or two after I get it driving. I need to get the 6.0 up to VA from TX but I still have a lot of other crap to get done before I am anywhere near ready to think about putting a motor in this thing. With the holidays time has been limited on doing anything at all but now that thats behind us I hope to be able to get some more hours in on it. So far I have only managed to remove some uneeded things in the engine bay, do a bit of wire wheel cleanup and got the power steering box installed on the frame. I still need to cut and weld the flange on the steering shaft but I am waiting to do that until I have the front suspension and steering done so I can clock it properly.

Thats all for now but hopefully the updates will be more regular and I can start to feel like I am making some progress soon!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally found a little time to spend in the garage this weekend. I got the front clip removed so I would have a little more room to work and this way I can clean up and paint the frame and firewall. This also makes it that much easier to install the suspension and motor. I dropped the front engine crossmember to make it easier to clean up and drill out the u bolt holes to accept the larger 9/16 u bolts.

Luckily a full replacement bolt kit is cheap for the front clip! I've got some broken bolt removal to do I guess. Some idiot put those two shiny bolts into the inner fender to fire wall holes and decided to just send it when they realized they weren't the correct thread size.

After that I pulled the rear axle to clean it up and rebuild. I have the outer bearings and new carrier bearings but I'll need to get new pinion bearings. I probably could have left them alone but if I'm this far in I should do it all I figure.

I still need to clean and de-grease the axle more but this is where I got to today. Hopefully I can keep moving forward and get this thing at least as a roller here in the next few weeks.

Attachments

·
Old Fart
3,341 Posts
I wish I was making that kind of progress, been too cold here to be very motivated. :cry:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish I was making that kind of progress, been too cold here to be very motivated. :cry:
We had a couple good days of weather that weekend. Even though my garage is heated its really nice to have the ability to work outside on things like the axle cleanup especially when using brake clean inside the axle housing. I have a return vent right inside the door from the garage to the house so any smells from the garage can quickly consume the entire house if I'm not careful and then I have an angry wife to deal with!

Nothing much to update other than I got the axle bearings removed last night after receiving my bearing and race driver set from Amazon yesterday. I almost ordered the proper bearing removers and slide hammer but I figured I would see if I could make this work and I'm really glad I saved the money! I slide the driver inside the tube followed by a piece of scrap 1x2 and three wacks with a dead blow and the bearings popped right out.

·
Boozebag
9,171 Posts
You are probably aware that there are companies that make super looking trailing arms for these trux… And tube type shock mounts that bolt to the rear frame.
The sky is really the limit for aftermarket parts....
Nice project...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've actually got a new set of Performance Online tubular trailing arms that came with it. I have seen a few others that look a bit nicer with speed holes and things but since I have these and they are a definite upgrade from stock and pretty well liked around the internet I will run them. I am going to add one of their adjustable trailing arm cross members to go with them just to complete the package as well as have the anti-squat adjustability. Like you said the sky is the limit with the aftermarket on these things I just have to control myself and try and use most of the parts that came with it unless they just don't fit my vision of what I want the truck to be like the wheels and factory height springs lol! Luckily all of the parts that have been purchased were top quality parts and really no expense was spared when he bought things.

·
Boozebag
9,171 Posts
^^ Excellent outlook... This should be a crazy project

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Edit: Just went back and read my last post and this one has completely contradicted everything I said there about self control lol!

I sold my motor on Saturday faster and for more than I expected so I ordered a full air ride setup today! After looking at complete kit options I opted to piece everything together via eBay. Ended up with the following

Accuair VX4 manifold
AVS 7 switch controller
5 gallon 9 port seamless aluminum tank
Dual Viair 444c compressors in stealth black
Airlift dominator 2600 bags for all 4 corners
SMC water trap
All the various fittings, pressure switch and safety/blow off valve
50 ft of 3/8 air line
Bag brackets for the front

The only pieces left that I need are air gauges, some sort of notch and shocks and shock relocators but I still need to do some research and figure out what I want before those are purchased.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I few of the air ride pcs have started showing up!
The sticker is going to have to be removed...

And the controller, manifold, adapter harness for the controller and 50ft of 3/8 hose. Accuair does a killer job with the packaging on those manifolds. Opening the box is like looking into a display case!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts