S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped the clutch , wheelhop took place and now it has a bad vibration going down the road and drives funny , what have I screwed up . It is a 95 reg cab 2.2 5 speed

·
62 Impala member
630 Posts
cracked flywheel, shatterd part of the clutch disc, broke the bell housing, messed up a u joint, or broke the rlease bearing, broke something internally in the tranny.. could be any of these man just have to tear into it and find out whats broke

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok , I hope the 94 is the 2.2 5 speed , haven't seen it yet , but if it is I can get the shaft for $12 and crossmember for $8 .Thanks for your help

·
I need to get to work
62 Posts
Check the welds on your axle tubes.

I've broken them before, and when they axle tube welds break, the U-joint retainer bolts will hit the driveshaft. You'll probably have to hammer a good socket onto the bolts to remove them... replace them with good ones from a salvage vehicle.

·
is out cruisin...
1,619 Posts
so what was it? the u-joints? plz tell me it was the u-joints because that happened to mine and im wonderin whats wrong

·
Registered
576 Posts
hotrod95 said:
so what was it? the u-joints? plz tell me it was the u-joints because that happened to mine and im wonderin whats wrong

From the photos posted, the sequence of events went something like this.
Clutch is dumped, the sudden application of a large amount of torque to the rear end causes the leaf springs to wrap up allowing the pinion end of the differential housing to move upward to the point that the yoke on the front end of the differential contacts the drive shaft, damaging the bolts, bending the drive shaft & cracking the rear transmission mount. If such an event occured with your vehicle, it would be advisable to replace the u-jount as well as any other damaged parts & install a set of traction bars if you plan to do these kinds of launches in the future

·
is out cruisin...
1,619 Posts
old s-10 owner said:
From the photos posted, the sequence of events went something like this.
Clutch is dumped, the sudden application of a large amount of torque to the rear end causes the leaf springs to wrap up allowing the pinion end of the differential housing to move upward to the point that the yoke on the front end of the differential contacts the drive shaft, damaging the bolts, bending the drive shaft & cracking the rear transmission mount. If such an event occured with your vehicle, it would be advisable to replace the u-jount as well as any other damaged parts & install a set of traction bars if you plan to do these kinds of launches in the future
in the process of doin that last night and today and ive done nice lil screeches before and nothing goes wrong but i shall never do this again...i was just havin a lil fun and this is what happens...oh well itll be fixed by this afternoon hopefully...

oh yeah, thanx for the info man...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I replace the bolts and the retaing straps . runs alot smoother but the u-joint needs to be replaced . Any way besides heating it to get it out . Doesn't have the clips , it is still the factory with 133,xxx miles

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
old s-10 owner said:
From the looks of the second photo you posted the differential housing rotated up when you dumped the clutch binding the rear u joint.
lol, i busted mine off from the shafts... now I got a rear end from an '03...

rotated up and such

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is aterting to vibrate again and the back tire on pass side is wearing kinda funny . Prob will be looking for a new rearend before long

1 - 20 of 20 Posts