S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i get called out to work tonight because the wind blew a door open and it set the alarm off. I get there drive around bak and fix the problem. I stop at a gas station to get something to drink and then my truck will not start. It does not want to crank at all. Battery is still at full charge and the lights do not dim when i try to turn it over. A bystander siaid here and tried to jump the solenoid and the started just spun and would not engage the flywheel. It is a 2.2 auto, any help would be great.

Thanks
Nick

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
drive gear bendix is weak bad time for new starter they dont last forever, i just got done replacing one on a 2.2L 94 a buddy of mien owns and holy crap it was not fun at all.

i dont ever want to do another one ever again. these early 2.2 starters are a total PITA to get out

·
F.ound O.n R.oad D.ead
451 Posts
yeppp but make sure to match up starters when you bring it to your parts store because i had the wrong one and tried shimming it every which way and ended up having to grind some off .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i got the two bolts out that are holding the starter in but i cant seem to wedge the starter out any ideas or how tos to get it out.

·
1 slo S
79 Posts
you gotta take the engine to trans brace loose or off and the starter has to be turned just the right way to get it out. It just does fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
while checking the leads to my starter, i have main power and when i turn on the switch i get power to the small lead. when i jump the leads the starter will spin but not engage. but when i turn the ignition on it does nothing. any ideas?

·
F.ound O.n R.oad D.ead
451 Posts
solenoids bad. and remove bellhousin?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help everyone, finally got it replaced and up and running again. removing the bellhousing cover made it so much easier.

·
F.ound O.n R.oad D.ead
451 Posts
no problem bud

1 - 9 of 9 Posts