S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my starter is going South. Cables and battery are good. Solenoid kicks every time, but the motor is initially slow to turn, sometimes requiring a second or third bump of the key before turning the engine over.

What is the best replacement starter for these engines, and what years are interchangeable to fit a 2001 S-10 (in the event I opt for a used or rebuilt one)?

Thanks for your replies.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Honestly the easiest route is to just pick one up at your local auto parts store and then bring the core back for a refund. I used a Duralast replacement when I had an s10 and it worked perfectly fine.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
what a 350 starter wouldn't it fit and be a better starter then a 4.3l starter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Double check your battery terminals at the battery. Make sure that they don't pull loose out of the battery terminals. I had a + wire pull out from a side terminal when pulled on and had already replaced the starter with a palladin from advanced(lifetime warranty). I would recommend the palladin starter. It is made in japan and starts quicker than a delco and is a little smaller. Since then I never have had a starting problem in 4 years on my 89 s10 Blazer.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
what a 350 starter wouldn't it fit and be a better starter then a 4.3l starter.
What would be "better" about it? I'm pretty certain the 4.3 started has an offset bolt pattern that the 350 starter does not.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
^ Hey, Mike..Long time, no see ! Still
had to have one of the nicest sounding s10's
I had the pleasure to hear via vid, going way back when..

Back to the subject,
You could always rebuild it yourself.
Rebuild kits from Victory Lap is your friend.
Can be had at Autozone, etc.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
nothing wrong with good used starters

the 4.3L is staaggered pattern but is with smaller flexplate

which sbc engines didnt do

sbc engines smaller plate used straight across bolt pattern, 153 tooth

and staggered was larger plate, 168 tooth

so if the 4.3 is 153 then a v-8 nose cant work

plus anyways the 4.3 solenoids are totally different mounting style and nose is unique

if i had a digivcam i could pic you all these different things, i have starters of all kinds laying around here

diferent old v8 chevy ones

and a new 92 4.3L one and so on..,

all going to shredder eventually or sell to core place if i can find one in central IL(nothing exists here except corn fields and a shredder yard(BEHR))

1 - 7 of 7 Posts