S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you heard of this? The guy at the tire place said that 2 of my rims are out of balance. I have had the tires replaced 3 times now in the last 2000 miles. This last time the tire guy put the rim on the balancer before putting the tire on to figure out why the tires keep ending up out of round. One of the rims is .50 OZ on the inside and .75 OZ on the outside. So the tire place is blaming the manufacturer (chevrolet), and the dealership is blaming the tire manufacturer (2nd and 3rd set of tires were Firestone Firehawk SS20's, and the 4th set are Bridgestone Potenza RE910"s).

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
No rim is perfect. I would try a different brand of tires.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
there is nothign wronog with that rim that is perfectly normal. i worked at a shop for over 4 years all rims take weights.

.50 and .75 is nothing ive had 2.0 on some rims and got to balance fine. do a static balance and keep it liek that. static balance puts weights on inside only and still is fine and looks cleaner

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just for clarification there 98 SS. The rim with no tire on it is off .50 and .75, not with the tire on it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
yah thats normal no rims balance out even exactly liek that. pot holes even they are not big can bend a rim a little so you cant seen it you have nothing to worry about. if you had the rim all going crazy then yes

tony

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then there has to be something else wrong. It's sad, the dealership has no idea. So I called Chevrolet. They are researching it for me.

Hey 98 SS I see you have an RX7. Nice car!!! I had an 83' back when I was in the Marine Corps in San Diego. It's one of those cars a guy always says he wishes he still had. That Winkle engine runs out real nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts