S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm writing this, my S10 is sitting at the dealer's garage. Won't start. Turns over and catches once in a while like it wants to start. Giving it a shot of gas in the throttle body will start it up for a few seconds, so it's like it's not getting any gas. I can hear the fuel pump running and there's spark. Either it's the injectors not opening, (computer problem) or the timing's out of whack (computer problem), but the numb nuts dealer thinks it's a short in the fuse block because he saw the wires from my electric fan and fog lights there. (Which have been there for some time and it's ran fine and are correctly wired with relays and fuses.) Says he wiggled the fuse block and got it to start once. Coincedence I say. It started once for me too while I was working on it and I wasn't moving anything. I'd bet $20 that if I put a new PCM in it, it would fire right up, but they just don't want to replace anything expensive I think. Anyone else run into warranty problems like this? I'm desparate, I'm having to drive a Geo rental. :cry:

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2000. I'll put the fuel filter on the list, but it's only got 34000 on it. Be surprised unless I got a load of crap in it with my last fill up.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be, but no DTCs and the MIL isn't lit up. I've got a computer hookup for my OBDII and during the one time I had it running, I hooked up and it looked fine. Fuel trim, O2 sensors, etc., all were normal. Makes me miss my old 69 Z28. I'm just hoping the dealer's electrician can figure it out. This POS Metro I'm driving doesn't even have power steering. :cuss:

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I read a TSB about the screen in the fuel pump cloggin up. You many want to check that.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been there, done that. :thumbup: Here's an update. Went to the dealer today and worked with the mechanic there. We got the thing to start, but once it was running the MIL was lit. He read a code for a bad 2/3 shift solenoid in the transmission. Here's the weird part. While the code was active, the engine was running like crap. As soon as he cleared the code, it started running normally. Why would a transmission DTC cause the engine to run rough? Anyone know? Apparently the problem with it starting is due to what ever the PCM is doing to make the engine run rough. Even the mechanic was baffled.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The chevy dealer/manuel recommend a fuel filter change every 30,000 miles.
I need to change mine now because my fuel milage has dropped.
I just passed 30,000

K

·
0 Posts
just b/c you can hear the fuel pump running does not mean it is pumping...had one the other day yea is sounds like it is running...but it is only pissing...gas...not pumping it like it shouldl...sooo not enought fuel to start....won't set a code either...maybe a 1599 stall code...but that is it...

·
littleX10
70 Posts
Let me know what a DTC and a PCM is and I can make up a hell of **** story for you. Otherwise get out the way and let them fix your truck. No mechanic likes eyes over their shoulder its annoying.

K

·
0 Posts
OH...YEAH....B/C.....It is an Ignition Switch....ther is a Service Bulletin for it...the Ignition switch messes up somehow and cause a rough running condition,spedometer off,umm..various trans codes, and...harsh up**** and so on....the power wire from the ign. switch goes to the various sensors on the trans. and the pcm ....that is what your problem is...i hope this helped
oh yea the service bulletin is
Bulletin # 01-07-30-002b
hope this helped..
later
Kenny

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey man ive had the same problem......i changed the fuel filter and I believe that that alone is the problem.....I know that the manual saids change it at 30000miles, however the problem started with mi 2k about 20k miles;)

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Kenny and others for the tips. All the problems solved. Was a combination of things. Ignition swich was going bad, clogged strainer on fuel pump, wiring problems. Most of which was issues that were on the TSBs, but were hard to diagnose with them happening at the same time. Even had the GM mechanic stumped for 4 days.

We fixed the strainer with a replacement unit that's not as restrictive, replaced fuel pump with unit that has passage for the return line which isn't filtered on OEM filter, replaced the switch, etc., etc.. I also found that the replacement ign. switches wear out just as fast so I've installed a new circuit that feeds power to the PCM when the ignition is on that bypasses circuit 1020 so if the switch goes bad again it will still run. Some place I saw online sells a kit to do this for $100, but I prefer my $5 in parts solution that's the same thing.

And for mr reddichevy, I DO know what a TSB, PCM and whole other bunch of technical terms mean, that's why I can have an intelligent converstation with the mechanic and he values my input. I only thing I don't have is their fancy OBDII code reader. Which by the way I now own. Got the software for my laptop that does the same thing. Works great.

·
littleX10
70 Posts
I am glad you put me in place on my response. Because othered is very helpful and forthcoming with info for us all. Now I must fantasize about possible mods to my 2.2 and interior.

·
Oooo. It's so tiny!
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You can get it at http://www.obd-2.com/

You can download the software to check it out first from that site. When you buy it, he sends you the special cable to hook it up to your computer's serial port.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is the ignition switch on top of the steering column near the base, and is it a major or relatively minor pain to change? Asking this in regards to a 2000 S10 2.2L. Thanks.

US

1 - 20 of 21 Posts