S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have tried looking all over on this forum and corvette forum for answer to my problem with no luck. I have an 85 s10 with a 383 stroker in it. It has about 10,000 miles on it since build. I recently put on a new dynomax muffler and as soon as I finished putting it on, I parked the truck and let it sit. The next day I went out to drive and as soon as the water temp gets to 130-150* I can hear a tick. I went throught the exhaust and sealed up all joints with muffler mender, tightened the clamps, and checked all over for leaks. The sound was still there. It is not very noticiable from the top of the motor but you can hear it much better under the truck. It increases with engine rpm but only when warm-hot. I took off the fly wheel dustcover and check the flywheel for slop and it looked good, no missing bolts or anything. The flywheel came new with the stroker kit any way. I went through all the rocker arms and they are quiet and pumping oil well. I have normal oil pressure all the time too. I was convinced it was a lifter. I pulled the intake yesterday and all lifters look to be good. I pushed with all my weight on the rocker arm trying to get on to collapse and they were all strong. I check hedder gaskets and they are good. The speed of the tick is 1/2 engine RMP. I listend with hose and it sound like not around the oil pan but right above it in the motor and it louder in the passenger side of the motor. I have no power loss or anything. Could I have cracked a weld on the headers or where the collector pipe is welded to the headers? I dont know what to do now. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sounds liek maybe a water pump.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Noise...

Since the only thing you really played around with (for the most part before the noise became noticeable) was the exhaust, I would bet that its still something to do with that. Maybe while tugging on the tubing to get the muffler on you cracked the weld on one of the (passenger side most likely) header flanges or the collectors. I think you are probably right in suspecting something in this area. From what you stated I am assuming that you are using a single exhaust (muffler) so it may be where the y pipe joint is welded together. It really sounds like it is from the header gasket on the pass. side but if you have checked it out I would follow the possibilities on that side down further.....Kevin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I think I have the problem. I looked under the header flange from under the truck and sure enough, there was about a 16th of an inch gap on both sides if the gasket. I took out all the header bolts and saved the back one for last because it is the toughest to get to. When I went to get it out, I could unscrew it by hand. The bolt had been up against the header tube so thight that the wrench would tighten it ant more and there was a gap there. I would have it all back together todya but no stores were open for me to pick up gaskets so Ill do it tomorrow. Thank you guys for responding, these forums are real life savers. I hope this solves the problem of my muffler sounding like there is a leak somewhere inside the muffler. Also, does anyone know the tightening order and torque specs for aluminum vortec intakes?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I agree with Kevs10.You just worked on the exhaust,it's probably:
1) You broke something loose moving pipes around.
2)The old muffler was loud ehough you couldn't hear it.
3)The Dynomax muffler has more back pressure and is forcing air out of hole that's always been there.
Check the collector gaskets.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Header Leaking...

In my opinion (others may confirm this or not but...) I would opt for some of the copper gaskets since the headers on the S10's are so tight and hard to get at as you well know by now. The copper ones seem to seal easier once they have been crushed down initially, and don't need to have as much retorquing done to finally seat them - from my experience . I know they are double or more the price - but seem to be more surface tollerant and a worthwhile investment in my eye.... Kevin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, Im mad. I got the intake and everything back on and I took it out for a drive. It was fine for awhile but once I got on it hard, the ticking came back!! I replaced the header gaskets, I even soaked them in water to get them to swell and I double gasketed it. It is making the same noise. The only thing is that I can hear air escaping freely from somewhere around the collector when the truck is started and once it heats up after Ive been driving, the tick starts. Also, when I took it out last night, I got on it about 3/4 throttle all the way up to about 75-80. IT only took like 6-7 seconds to get there but once there, it started to bog. I got off the throttle and tried getting back on it almost died. I did this about 3-4 times and every time, the motor bogged and I could even get it increase speed at all. I put it in neutral and pulled off the road and as soon as I stopped, I reved it and it reved fine. I hate all these little things going wrong. Im gonna try sealing up the collector area but im puzzled on the bogging. It has done this twice before since the tick has developed but not as bad. I dont know if the two are connected or not. I have a holley red electric fuel pump, 2 fuel filters, and a regulator. The reg is set to the highest setting and the clear filter looks fine. Im puzzled and irritated, any help would be great!

·
A.K.A. Mightymouse
137 Posts
My truck made the same noise you described, and even had a loss
of power as you describe.
I suggest you check your valve lash, or you could have this happen to you:Carnage

·
Registered
464 Posts
Not enough info here to tell what Your combo is, but, if You are running a mechanical fuel pump....check it for a broken return spring....been there, done that....sounds just like a lifter....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 383 stroker, brand new vortec heads, edelbrock intake, edelbrock carb, hydraulic cam and lifters, headers, all new crank, pistions, rods, bearings, no mechanical fuel pump, its a holley red electric. I saw a hole about the size of a ball point pen tip on the weld where the collector pipe is welded to the collector and its black around the hole. I dont know if it has always been there but I may have moved everything enough to open up a leak, I can defiently hear air coming from around teld so it must be that. I dont think the gogging has anything to do with the tick. As for the valve lash, I have already gone through and check everthing and its good. I pulled the intake and all the lifters are good too. Push rods are fine too. This motor has about 10,000 miles on it and was built by a retired NHRA motor builder. I think the stuble may be from the weather. Here in ohio, we just had the temp drop like crazy fast to like 30s. It has always stumbled when I mash the gas but it would get out of the dead spot and haul a$$ so I think the cold air just magnified the problem. Im going to put some muffler mender on the weld and let her dry today. Any one know what my carb is having problems with? It it running rich and floodong out? Or is it too lean and the cold air makes it leaner? Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Probably too lean. The Edelbrock 1406 on my old truck always needed a tune for the winter in Maine. Cold air is more dense and increases the stoichimetric ratio of fuel to air to >14.7:1. Your truck may be too lean. The stock 1406 I had was too lean for my stock 318. Modified it was really lean. The tuning kit was really helpful to make things smoother. Also check the fuel pressure against the specs for that carb. It makes a difference. Does it have a choke? The electric choke on my 1406 gave me fits sometimes. It either opened too soon, or too late.

·
Registered
321 Posts
What headers do you have?The hedman's are real thin at the head and collector flange,easy to warp them.

Take off the regulator the red pump is set for 7 psi.

Make sure your choke is'nt closing on you,that will cause the engine to die in the upper rpm range.

How many turns are you putting on the lifter after you take up the preload(just when you can feel the pushrod drag while you spin it)?I usually go a 1/2 turn.

Are you checking it warm?

I really don't think you have a lifter problem,the noise would be at the top,your hearing it underneath.

The bog you get when you mash it is caused by your accelerator pump.The shot is most likely to small.I'm not familier with the Edelbrock carbs,but I'm sure there is a way to adjust it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh. I have been very busy the past couple days and have just now gotten the chance to get back here. Any way, I think that I have my ticking problem narrowed down to an exhaust leak. that sucks but I guess Im just going to have to get the whole exhaust redone. Now I have more problems. Im pretty sure that its my carb making me bog down so Ill take care of that soon. Now, as of last night, i have yet another problem. My serpintine belt keeps jumping off of my crank pulley, waterpump pulley, and my altinator. It has done it twice now. Is this from the belt heating upso much that it is stretching and jumping off? I have the belt extremely tight and it stills jumps off. My altinator was making a real loud whining noise at a certain RPM, about 2500 to 3000. Was that just from it working hard trying to charge the battery back up? I had to drive on just the battery for about 1/2 hour last night. While I was under there, my car seemed to be whistling like a vacume leak. There is no vacume leak but I think the noise is coming from the fuel jets. When I give it hell from under the hood, its like a real loud dog whistle. After I kept gassing it for like 1-2 minutes, I drove it and the bog that I had was gone and it had excellent throttle response. I drove the truck this morning butnot long anough for it to get up to temperature so I dont know if it is still running good. It dosent seem to be though. Any thoughts on what this could be would be excellent. Thank you in advance.

·
V8 Horsepower junkie
15 Posts
I wouldnt think the alternator should make a loud whining all of a sudden... I don't know alot about them though

On the ticking problem, did you get it fixed?? A couple of things come to my mind - Not sure if its a tick, or ping, or what, but the wrong grade of gas would make it ping, and as far as a tick or knock, I would think it is in the rod or main bearings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:wtf: I did not get the tick fixed. It has to be either an exhaust leak or something along that nature because it is HALF the speed of the engine. If it was a rod or something, it would be twice as fast. I know what a rod sounds like and main bearings and its neither. Its 9.1:1 compression and I run 87 gas and its fine. Its not detonation, I know what detonation sounds like. Ill keep working on it so keep the suggestions coming.

·
footbraker
1,236 Posts
If your underhood temp gets too high the secondaries on the edelbrock can boil over, causing the bog. I'd also have a look at the fuel pump. Even new ones sometimes have a bad spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts