S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've decided it's time to start a " build" page. Drive train will be an L33 / 5.3, 4L65E trans. and a 8.6 / 3:42 rear end. One of the first things I did is tear out the cracked dash and checked to see if the interior wiring had been butchered. I have a 2001 S10 4.3 as donor truck and will be using as many parts as needed from it. Here's a picture of my ZQ steering box ($50 off FBMP) and the tilt steering column from the 2001. Both are in mock position, gear box has been centered.
20210211_160806.jpg
20210211_160737.jpg

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,668 Posts
Ok, I've decided it's time to start a " build" page. Drive train will be an L33 / 5.3, 4L65E trans. and a 8.6 / 3:42 rear end. One of the first things I did is tear out the cracked dash and checked to see if the interior wiring had been butchered. I have a 2001 S10 4.3 as donor truck and will be using as many parts as needed from it. Here's a picture of my ZQ steering box ($50 off FBMP) and the tilt steering column from the 2001. Both are in mock position, gear box has been centered. View attachment 347490 View attachment 347491
Did you get your Hooker steering shaft yet??

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wire nuts and tape? I'm hoping it will be plug & play....didn't think you needed the Hooker shaft with the Hooker manifolds? Anyway, got the nice unblemished 2001 dash in, now I've got to button it all up.
20210212_140926.jpg

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,668 Posts
You'll need the Hooker shaft. Even then it's pretty close. If you plan on using Corvette fuel rail covers, you'll need an 8" brake booster. It's a lot easier to put it in before you clutter up the interior with the dash and it's related parts.

·
Been there Done it
10,514 Posts
What year is the truck? Are you planning DBW or cable?

·
Been there Done it
10,514 Posts
Not sure this pic from @remops thread is of a Holley shaft, but it shows the location and how close things are.

Reactions: goes2fast

·
Registered
106 Posts
You'll need the Hooker shaft. Even then it's pretty close. If you plan on using Corvette fuel rail covers, you'll need an 8" brake booster. It's a lot easier to put it in before you clutter up the interior with the dash and it's related parts.
^^Definitely do a brake booster swap before buttoning the rest of the dash up. It’s 1000x easier with the steering column out.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a 98 step-side short bed pickup, was originally a 2.2 / 5 speed. Installing an L33 / 4L65E / 8.6 disc 3:42's So what booster are you guys using? Oh, dbw
20210212_170247.jpg

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,668 Posts
I’m kinda the booster king. After trying several, I ended up with an 8” unit from Tuff Stuff. You have to add the S10 end on the rod. Total overall length is 6” from the base of the booster to the end of the rod.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may have to start looking for fuel rail covers, what's the going price?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,668 Posts
New or used is about $100 for the pair...I got mine from rockauto.

·
always something new
54,659 Posts

·
Been there Done it
10,514 Posts
yup.............that was my creation
Sorry for giving credit to the wrong guy. Just happened to see the pic 5 minutes before reading EZA's question, so I copied it here for him to see how close everything is.
I've used an Astro u-joint, but had to reclock the shaft 90° by disassembling the u-joint.
I gather you just bought a u-joint and some DD tube?
Probably fits better than the Holley one. I bought one and had to shorten it 1/2" to get it on. Thought afterwards that I should have just built one. Wouldn't have taken any longer than figuring out what was wrong with the store bought one and modding it. Seems to be a common theme with Holley parts. Only need a bit of work to fit.
When you finally do get it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts