S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it seems like the alignment is off.....pulls to the right significantly and has excessive wear on the outside of the pass. front tire. I took it in to have the alignment done.....and they said i needed; 3 new ball joints, new pittman arm, and a new idler arm and they quoted me $1k!!! man i was pissed......so i decided to just keep driving it and I took a look when I got home, the ball joints and arms dont look bad except one ball joint had a small rip in the boot, so I replaced the boot.....were they just trying to screw me? should I just goto a diff shop to have it aligned? or how can u check the pitman and idler arms to see if they are bad?

·
Registered
295 Posts
how many miles does your truck have? i cant tell you what is bad, just what to look at.

1. upper control arm bushings, they are on the upper control arm. the bushings get hard and cracked and give up. if they look cracked, they are probably bad

2. lower control arm bushings are not as bad but do give up. there is no visual inspection except to take them out. after that much work you might as well replace them.

3. tie rod ends. they are cheap, reach under the truck and pull, if they move, they are bad and need replacing.

4. ball joints ( post above yours). lift the truck up and pry the tire up. if the spindle moves in the joint, your ball joints are bad.

5. center link. again grap it and pull back and forth, too much movement is a bad thing.

6. 2wd 210 should have a solid pitman arm, 4wd can go bad.

·
Registered
170 Posts
:stupid:
You can do all this work under $200. How did You replace the rubber booth? If you take ball joint off spindle, and it is "wobbling" and not "tight", then it is bad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea......I work at napa so I look up the parts....i can get all the parts for under 200.......dam I hate shops that try an screw people!! as for replacing the boot......that was a typo on my part.....sorry.....I replaced the tie rod end boot.....not the ball joint boot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts