S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Why not LAY FRAME ?????
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

how do u tell if your ball joints are going bad or dead and need to be replaced.

when do ball joints usually need changed on s10s? i have a 2000 sonoma with about 115 000 kms on it. I have the feeling i may need to replace both on the drivers side and the top one on the passenger side.

anthor problem ive gotten not to long ago , is that i hear a clicking noise ever so often - - and it sounds like its coming from the passenger front wheel. what could that be,,

i did notice that the end-link (i think thats what its called) ( where sway bar connects to lower arm) seems to be a lose on the drivers side, would that be the clicking?

·
I have a Civic now
3,786 Posts
I think if you grab your wheel and try to move it horizontally and you feel some play then the ballkoints are shot, the ball joints are messed up in my moms blazer and they pop every so often. If you have any doubts i would go ahead and replace them all, better safe than sorry.

·
1st Gen Owner Again lol
473 Posts
I'm by far no expert..I do however know on 1st gen dimes..if you have somewhat - excess play in the wheel the ball joints are bad. On my old 85 dime I dropped it with spindles up front and used cheap ball joints month later whole left front gave out at the boot looking thing, made a nice rear wheel 3 wheel effect though :\

·
Registered
234 Posts
i had some play in my front end. i thought it was my balljoints but it wasnt. I ended up replacing the center link and tie rods. I also packed the hubs. A mechanic told me what the problems were...we took the wheels off and he grabbed everything and moved it back and forth..and just watch to see where the play was(which joint). I used moog parts..very good quality..i think i got them at cost..total was 145 for the parts and i put them on myself and greased the hell out of them. Rides and handles great now. As far as the end link..if your talking about the long bolt with bushings on it..thatll appear loose or way tight depending if your low or high, i know everytime i look under my truck sometimes those bolts look tight, sometims loose. im bagged also. I think a busted boot doesnt mean its bad..just that you have to grease it more often and dirt might get into it. might aswell be replaced.
hope that helps

·
Registered
15 Posts
The best way to check your ball joints is:

Jack the front of the car up BY THE FRAME, not by the suspension. Stick a prybar under the tire and pull up on it, and watch your ball joints for play.

-Dan-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts