S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Why not LAY FRAME ?????
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

how do u tell if your ball joints are going bad or dead and need to be replaced.

when do ball joints usually need changed on s10s? i have a 2000 sonoma with about 115 000 kms on it. I have the feeling i may need to replace both on the drivers side and the top one on the passenger side.

anthor problem ive gotten not to long ago , is that i hear a clicking noise ever so often - - and it sounds like its coming from the passenger front wheel. what could that be,,

i did notice that the end-link (i think thats what its called) ( where sway bar connects to lower arm) seems to be a lose on the drivers side, would that be the clicking?

·
Registered
383 Posts
ball joints can last a long time if you grease them at regular intervols

to check you ball joints take the center link which is the bar that is between the two inner ball joints and move it up and down and side to side. if it moves then your ball joints are bad. it can twist but its not suppose to move up and down or side to side.

the piece that your sway bar is connected to on the lower control are is called the stabilizer bar connecting link the chicking could be coming from that
hope i helped you out

·
Registered
295 Posts
to test your ball joints.

lift the vehicle so that the suspension is free to travel. lift the side in question untill the tire clears the ground by a couple of inches. place a bar under your tire and try and pry it up while watching the ball joints. if the there is any slop in your ball joint, it needs replaced.

for your tie rod ends, just crawl under you truck (not while on jack) and give them a good tug side to side, there whould be a little movement, but ifs excessive, replace them.

·
Registered
383 Posts
if you put a bar under the tire and move it back an forth it wont move the ball joint. if you where checking you wheel bears that would be the right way but just move the center link back and forth and up and down that is the proper way to check them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts