S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I can't pass inspection here in Virginia without my backup lights working. Well, they work... but only when the trans is BETWEEN park & reverse. In addition, once I'm past reverse all the gear indications are off by one. i.e. overdrive "says" neutral, third "says" second, etc. Auto trans;4.3L (Z); 4x2; LS trim. The park/neutral switch is a suspect, but with the shift indicator being wrong, I'm thing it's something else. Any ideas?:(

·
Registered
655 Posts
sounds like the p/n safety switch is culprit. if anything, it might just need reset. does it act up in the way that the vehicle doesn't like to start in park or neutral? or if the shifter has to be in the right spot for it to start? at any rate, i'd be looking at that before i'd start thinking shift column problems.

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
it's the park neutral switch as it tells the cluster what gear you're in as well, if this is a 95 pickup. If it's 94 or older, I'd have to look at the specifics. I know 94 clusters use a cable to show the gear indicator and are mechanical. Although it still sounds like the park/safety switch for the backup lights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, I ment to mention it's a '94 which has mechanical (cable) connection. That's what makes me wonder if it's NOT the P/N switch. Make sense?

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
alright, on a 94 with an auto, the backup light switch is on the top side of the steering column. So i'll bed that somethings up there moved. Reset the cable for the PRNDL, and then check the backup light switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reset the cable? Esay fr yuo to say. Any tips or procedures you can supply? My Chilton and Haynes and AllData say very little.

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
honestly, I'm not sure, the cable just clips onto the steering column. I know that for sure as I've seen them in junk yards. but I don't know much else, I imagine if you remove the trim panel, you'll be able to see what I'm talking about. My truck's a 94 manual, so I've never messed with the auto stuff.

As far as removing the trim panel, you'll have to remove the lowest kick panel (one on the driver side and the center one,the passenger one can stay), then the panel above it (has the cig lighter built into it) and finally the top trim panel.

Although, on mine, I can get away with just removing the two screws below the steering column, the 7mm bolt hidden by the ash tray and then remove the trim panel once I remove the two screws above the cluster. But you may need to remove the lower pieces to work on the backup light switch.

I would get the repair data from online, however the site has been down the past couple of weeks. Look in my signature, go to the repair info for a 94 s10, look at the steering column switches.

BTW. The backup switch is built into the neutral park/safety switch. I just read that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I already picked up a replacement switch- just in case. I'm going to try the cable- I wan't to install a new stereo anyway- so off comes most of the dash. I wish (now that it's cool out) I didn't have the AC to complicate things.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts