S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
frame layin member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to know how to measure the backspacing on my wheels. i f*cked one up and gotta order a new one and need to get the right backspacing. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Re:

Lay something flat across the bead of the rim ,on the backside ,and measure from the mounting flange to the under side of the flat piece you laid on it.Dont lay it on the tire itself.

·
frame layin member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

i appreciate it. i should have a new one in the next week or so.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
few things that need to be known before you are gonna get the rims
1) how low is your truck, or are you going lower than you are now?
2) do you want the same size all around, or fatest tire you can fit in the back without rubbing and smaller tire up front
3) what size rims? 15, 16, 17, 18, 20?>?
4) do you drive it everyday or not?

if you can tell me these things ill get the rims that are best for you. i used to work at a tire shop did tires all the time on s10 and rims

·
proud stepsider
519 Posts
hey what do you recommend for me 98 SS?

to answer your questions;
-I'm ZQ8 + 2" spindles/3" blocks
-same size tire all around (how do you balance them when they're different?)
-probably a 17" rim
-daily driver

·
frame layin member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here goes

right now my truck is at stock height..no zq8 just a regular LS
i'm goin w/ a 4/5 drop as soon as i get my new wheel.

i already had my rims and f*cked one up. so i only need one. they were 18" mondera davanti's... i think they were 18x8.5 because thats the only size i saw advertised. i have nitto 450 215/35/zr18's on it. way too skinny. but they were on it when i got it. so i'm now looking for a tire size that will go well with my 4/5 drop. i want them to all be the same size.

and yes its a daily driver. i appreciate your help. thanks.
chris

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
loyality,
if you go with 17s 17x8 4.5 bs with 245 45 17 all around, but 255 50 17 will fit but rub on full turns but will save you from bent rims, and plus fatter tire looks nice. if you want to you can go with 245 45 17 front and rear 255 50 17 nice raked look. you will notice all s10s with 17x8 with 4.5 bs the front will look ok rear will stick in more. we just use a little spacer in back and it will be fine.

if you want to rotate them all go with 245 45 17 all around 17x8 4.5 bs.

if you go with 17x8 and 17x9.5 rear the balance is fine. here is alink of my cousins sonoma with zq8 springs up front and spindles rear is a 3 inch leaf and 1 inch block. lower in the page we put a 2 inch block in back and front we will put in 2 inch drop springs in front. 245 45 17 front rear is a 275 40 17

heres the link
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=17138&t=4059#post17138

here is a link to my buddys s10. he has 120 miles on rims and tires 245 45 17 front with 17x8 rear is a 275 40 17 on a 17x10. best offer takes them
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=19422#post19422

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
2000s10pusher,

ok your going with a 4 5 drop on a 18x8.5 rim. what is the backspacing of the rim and i dont understand if you are gettin a new set or all new rims and different.

click this link you will need to do this in the back when you go to a 5 inch drop.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=690

ok if you hace a 18x8.5 bs should be like 4.75. for a 18x8 and a 4 5 drop 245 40 18 all around should be perfect. what you can do for me now is turn your tires full lock and have someone measure on inside how far your current set up is from the frame. then i can get you the exact width tire that would best suite your set up.

heres the differences in tire heights
215 35 18- 23.9 height 8.5 width 3.0 height of sidewall
245 40 18- 25.7 height 9.6 width 3.8 height of sidewall

the 18x8.5 would be perfect with the 245 since its a wider rim
the kumho 245 40 18 all shipped to your house is 550.

also the 245 40 will suit the 4 5 drop perfect. lets just see how much space you have at full lock. i mean it will rub a little i just want to direct you to the right tire for your need

tony

·
frame layin member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i plan on cutting the bumpstops off. i have seen your directions before. props on the good instructions and the sweet ride.

ok now i'll explain....i bought a set of wheels about three weeks ago, used. i f*cked one of them up. so i'm just gonna buy 1 new wheel and 4 new, bigger tires because the 35's were just too damn skinny. i dont know the backspacing on them i was wondering how to measure that.
i currently have the wheels off right now sittin on my porch.

i really appreciate the help.
chris

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
ok get like a flat piece of wood, turn the rim over so you are staring at the back side. place the wood over the rim edge up top. now get a measuring tape, and measure from where the rim goes onto the truck, the back plate to the bottom of the wood. that will get you the backspacing.

·
frame layin member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got it

i went out there and measured and it was 5". so what tires etc do i need? they are flush w/ the fenders when installed.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
heres what i would do.

lower it first then see what size you need. or better yet especially in the rear this will also help me for the front.

cut off your bumpstop brackets and have like 10 friends get in back so it squats all the way down, then you can see how far you are from the fenders

tony

·
frame layin member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks

i'm probably gonna have to buy the tires before i drop it because i dont think my stock ones will fit w/ a 4/5 drop and that ill mean that i wont be able to put anytires on it. so thats why i was wondering. but thanks alot for your help. i'll get some pics up when i get it all done.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
have you allready put the rims on the truck to test fit it? and if not just slamp them on there and measure from the edge of the tire to the insdie of fenderlip tell me where its at. becuase you want at least a 245 40 18 to look right with that drop if not 225 45 18

tony

·
frame layin member
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
217 Posts
ATTN: 98 ss on NOS

hey whats up man...i was just on the xtremeowners board and was told that you dropped your girls blazer X with DJM. Well i am looking to do the same to my blazer X. I'm looking to go with a 3/4" drop and then throw on some 18" KMC Bofas... What should i go with, 18x7?? and backspacing??? thanks for the help bro

1 - 18 of 18 Posts