S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I did some searching on here but didnt find much on this, but have any of you ever installed your own backglass before. I am getting a solid glass from the salvage for $45 and ordering a new seal from LMC to replace my sliding glass, it is FUBAR'D....

If yall have, how hard was it?

·
American Muslce
227 Posts
its not hard. Too make it easier have a helper. Take some 1/8in -1/4in string and spray some water and soap inside the seal then put the string in the groove of the seal and place the bottom of the window with seal on and work the string out from the groove.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet, thats what I read on the net, but they were doing it on a 70's model F250...I would just have a glass shop do it, but they want like $260 for it. I can save my self quite a bit of change doing it myself

·
Truck #121616
2,860 Posts
yea, the rope trip works great. you have also, no doubt, read about the screw driver trick, and you want to avoid that hahaa!

just stick to the rope, and you shouldnt have a problem

·
Banned
7,683 Posts
yeah use the rope definantly when pulling the old one out pick a corne do the whole top... then go down the side

when putting it back in... put bottom in first and work ur way up the side and the top... the 2 top corners are gonna be a bitch so be prepared.. its not always the most comforable job but it beats paying some lots of money to do it

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I am trying to find a new seal locally so I can do it this weekend, but all the glass people wanna charge me like $70 for it

Again, thanks for all the input

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, thats where I was gonna get it originally, but with all the rain we have been having here I dont wanna wait to have it shipped

·
833 Posts
I just pushed mine in for the most part then used a flat head to pry the last corner of the moulding in. I've done it that way many times and never had a problem.

·
Square-body crazy
3,124 Posts
its not hard. Too make it easier have a helper. Take some 1/8in -1/4in string and spray some water and soap inside the seal then put the string in the groove of the seal and place the bottom of the window with seal on and work the string out from the groove.
What he said. That's the way the technician did when installing my new one piece window. It only takes 20-30 minutes but it is easier to have help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts