S-10 Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
This happened right before the big Texas winter storm. Funny how they valued my old 87 blazer that got hit at $800 and my 84 s10 got valued at 5k. Insurance paid me more than 3xs what I thought it was worth lol so it’s all good title didn’t even get salvaged. She will be back on the road by the end of the month. Now I gotta locate a new bed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
after a new junkyard radiator the truck is back on the road . At the car wash so I can wash the 8 months of tree sap and grime off. A few days after the pics the fuel pump was spraying a good stream of fuel on the engine from the weep hole. After new fuel pump it’s running great. Still tracks straight collision didn’t throw alignment off. I’ll be looking for a new bed somewhere down the road.
Tire Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
New precision branded fuel pump from oriellys lasted a good 2 days before the diaphragm busted and fuel started spraying out of weep hole. Got lifetime warranty so got the replacement put on running good again.
Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
The donor for the front hub, since mine was noisy
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

Spent 45 mins at the junkyard pulling the hub. On my way home saw this cool what looks like Baja s10, i remember seeing the commercial for the Baja s10 , awesome truck
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Sky Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Tire Sky Wheel

·
time to get cereal
5,615 Posts
Got stuck in a ditch the other day, tried to engage 4wd for the first time, and nothing. Wouldn’t engage. These are vacuum controlled right?
Pretty sure yours has a manual transfer case, does it not?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Got the hub on and it’s back to rolling smooth and quiet. As for the transfer case I haven’t gotten around to seeing why it won’t engage, how would i tell manual transfer case vs non?

·
time to get cereal
5,615 Posts
That lever on the floor is a good indication it's manual, lol.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Ok so now I know that, what causes manual transfer cases not to engage?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,312 Posts
The donor for the front hub, since mine was noisy View attachment 354221
Spent 45 mins at the junkyard pulling the hub. On my way home saw this cool what looks like Baja s10, i remember seeing the commercial for the Baja s10 , awesome truck View attachment 354222 View attachment 354223 View attachment 354224
I don't think that's a Baja. Bumpers and light bar are wrong...should be round tube. I believe the also have a big bowtie decal on the hood...possibly the tailgate.

Page 6.

·
time to get cereal
5,615 Posts
Ok so now I know that, what causes manual transfer cases not to engage?
I'm no 4wd expert, but I'm pretty sure that lever just pulls a cable. If you get under the truck you can probably see it.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,312 Posts
I'm no 4wd expert, but I'm pretty sure that lever just pulls a cable. If you get under the truck you can probably see it.
My '85 Blazer had the lever...it was pretty solid and I think it was linkage.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
The little 2.8 has been running excellent lately, heres a little 0-45 run for anyone interested in the 2.8 carb performance lmao.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is Sebastian your name or location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
409 Posts
So sorry about the rear-ending. Looks like the truck got over it, hope you’ve had no lasting effects.
Have you done a site search about the transfer linkage? I believe I have read on here a fix for that, swapping in a cable for the vacuum possibly? My 85 is 2 wheel drive so I didn’t pay close attention.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
the only real issue now is I need a rear window but the bottom left of the window frame is bent. Might try to beat it out but that may not work bc the whole cab in that spot is bent inwards. Got some info on my seats, found an old factory video and their factory sheepskin seats. Pic is from video. My driver seat won’t stay up anymore since the collision, does anyone know if that mechanism that holds the seat back up is repairable? How do I access the seat mechanism to see what broke?
Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Steering wheel

·
Been there Done it
12,415 Posts
Just guessing since I can't actually look at the truck, but the most common cause of no 4wd is a vacuum leak. Check all of your vacuum hoses. The system is pretty reliable and was used for many years in GM, Ford and Chrysler trucks and suv's. Should read aprox. 18" at all points in the system.
A vacuum gauge is a useful tool to have. Should read aprox. 18" at all points in the system.
I've had one of these for 50 years:
If you prefer new they're only a couple bucks more. The fuel pump side of these dual use gauges is only good on a carbed engine, tho.
You need to check at the hose from the engine to the reservoir (Ball). At the inlet and outlet of the vacuum switch on the TC and at the actuator diaphragm under the battery with the TC lever in 4wd and the truck idling in park.
You can test the actuator by compressing it by hand and putting your thumb over the hose hole. It should stay in. If not it's leaking. The vacuum switch on the TC can also be stuck closed. See this:

The seat back mechanism is inside the upholstery fabric on the side of the seat. It's best to take the seat out and set it on a workbench to figure out from underneath what needs repair. It might just be rusty if it got wet.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts