S-10 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
got tank pulled drained and cleaned. wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought inside. Just a few clods of rust. Pickup sock filter looked like it needed replacing but didn’t have one on hand, so I left it alone. Cleaned float sender and attached new ground wire to float assembly. Cleaned carb and will add inline filter. Verified fuel gauge still not working, stuck in same spot so looks like gauge bad? How can I fix or replace gauge?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ok now she’s running great! Starts right up and idles nicely. Now to get to this interior, pulled the headliner board and pretty much broke it into a few pieces. Anyone know a way ic can make a headliner board? Also how are you supposed to get the new one in? Only way I fit only headliner board out passenger was in pieces, was too big in one piece to come out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks for the info! But 150 is a little steep guess I could patch up the old one, my question tho is how do I get the newly covered board into the truck? Doesn’t fit in 1 piece

·
time to get cereal
5,615 Posts
1. Remove rear window.

2. Remove windshield.

Take your pick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info! But 150 is a little steep guess I could patch up the old one, my question tho is how do I get the newly covered board into the truck? Doesn’t fit in 1 piece
No, they are not cheap, and I have never bought one, but I considered it. Then, I found an intact board at a U-pull it (amazing). It was cracked where the visors go, but not bad. It was easy to remove and replace, are the plastic ones difficult?

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,609 Posts
No, they are not cheap, and I have never bought one, but I considered it. Then, I found an intact board at a U-pull it (amazing). It was cracked where the visors go, but not bad. It was easy to remove and replace, are the plastic ones difficult?
They make those one piece for the extended cab?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I hope your joking manbearpig about the having to pull either windshield to get headliner in? And a little update, been daily driving the truck for a week or so now and man this thing runs good. Not sure why all the hate on the 2.8 varajet carb, decent power and great gas mileage. It’s awesome when that secondary opens up on that varajet lol! This thing shifts firm and the steering is the tightest I’ve had on a s10. Very little rattles and squeaks. Everything works except AC and factory radio. Finally got the out of shape bumper on. Mechanically I need to fix speedo and gas gauge.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Need to check front transfer case oil, starting to hear slight whine from somewhere up front.some before and afters.

The completed look for now. Gonna cut and polish paint in a few months see if I can get this thing to shine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Alternator gave out last night. Made it back 45 min on battery, gotta love carbd cars, so little electric used. Luckily had a spare alternator sitting in my parts pile. Think it came off of a full-size but trucks charging just fine now ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Landed a new job, new commute is only 5 minutes so good news for the s10, especially with no gas gauge and a bad gas tank. Has a few pinholes in the front bottom where previous owner fixed with jb weld. Scraped off old jb weld and applied a new glob of jb tankweld. After filling up tank seems to be holding. Been putting miles on this s10 and when it runs good it runs great, but still shaking off the effects of its 15 year hibernation outside. More engine and interior work to follow soon.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Long term update: driven the s10 1 thousand plus miles already and this is what I’ve learned. they say it’s not a Chevy unless it leaks oil, got some leaky valve cover gaskets I need to replace. Got stuck in a ditch the other day, tried to engage 4wd for the first time, and nothing. Wouldn’t engage. These are vacuum controlled right? Need to fix that with winter coming up. Desperately need radio, does a double din fit the early dashes?

Both born in 84

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Haven’t been on in a while. Thought I’d give an update on the s10, truck was running great, until this ...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Rear ended at red light. Guy in 2019 ram doing 45+, me 0. rear window blew out by bed smashing into cab. Seat broke backwards. No seatbelt. No injuries. Busted radiator. She’ll be back.

·
Been there Done it
12,415 Posts
Looks like fog in the pic. Is that what caused the guy to not see you?
Did you tell hit just cause Dodge calls it a ram doesn't mean you have to ram into everybody? The real rams only butthead each other.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
It does look foggy in the picture but no, visibility wasn’t an issue that night, old man driving RAM was looking down distracted by who knows what. Luckily insurance didn’t total out my s10.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I am really surprised the insurance did not total your truck being an 84..... very interesting the damage is truly more than the value. Personal injury will help with recon work😎

41 - 60 of 78 Posts