S-10 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don’t think this linkage is right, it won’t let choke open, can someone with a carb take a picture of their linkage please?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
How do I test if my ac compressor is good? It was included with the truck but I’m thinking if someone pulled it and put a shorter belt it must be bad, then again idk. The compressor turns and isn’t locked up, there a way I can rebuild or test this compressor?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Well done on getting it running! Drop a can of seafoam in the oil and then change the oil and filter in like 100 miles.

·
Registered
981 Posts
For the AC: Connect it all up, vaccuum the system, measure it, leave it for a week, then check to see if it holds vaccuum. If so, it's probably sealed. If not, then you know the answer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
For the AC: Connect it all up, vaccuum the system, measure it, leave it for a week, then check to see if it holds vaccuum. If so, it's probably sealed. If not, then you know the answer.
I know that much but I don’t want to do all that when the compressor was bad the whole time. Compressor already pulled, how can I bench test?

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
676 Posts
yea I was thinking it probably got recovered some time ago. Yes I would definitely be interested in the center caps! LeT me know how much for them thanks
Well I tried to find them but with no luck. Sorry. Good job getting it up and running.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Ordered some headliner material, my headliner board is in ok shape, a few cracks here and there. Best way to fix the cracks?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got the carb linkage fixed, and found the vacuum advance wasn’t connected. Found a few other disconnected vacuum lines, connected them up and also found temp switch wasn’t connected. Once everything was back together she ran even better! Even idled nicely.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Haven’t done much to the s10 in a while. That was until my daily started having head gasket problems. So the s10 is now being fast tracked to daily status. Hope to be driving it soon. Couldn’t stand that faded yellow so here’s what I did for super cheap :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Not getting any rear lights or brake lights nothing in the back. Have yet to check fuses, thinking has to be wire or fuse bc none of them are functional. Is there a rear ground for the lights?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ok figured out the ground for the rear lights was disconnected so I fixed that. Got blinkers working by fixing some frayed wires up front. Wipers only work sometimes. Need to look into that with all this rain. Took her out yesterday for her first drive in 15 years! Did an hour drive no problem (other than not being able to see due to a storm and no wipers lol)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
How she sits right now. I left lights in original location bc I plan on going back to original grille sometime in future. Front bumper I got with truck is bent up can’t even align it to mount it. So until I straighten the bumper or get new one this is all I could do to be legal for now. Truck rides pretty good. Everything feels tight and it’s my first s10 with tight steering no slop. This thing didn’t even rattle much going down the Highway. Was expecting a complete slug with this carbd 2.8, as I’ve only driven the tbi versions and they were slugs. This thing kinda peppy, not bad, reminds me of my old 79 dodge with 318, these motors sound identical from inside the cab and power felt very similar. Going to put fender flares back on next

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Here’s the 2nd ride I’ve taken in the s10, drove to work about 45 minutes away. Ran great, wipers even worked the whole way. Things are slowly coming back to life as the foot well lights started working too. The interior is how it was when I got it. That’s next to tackle, I have most trim pieces and new headliner to install also.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Got the fender flares back on. Runs great on the Highway, keeps getting the carb dirty with rust after a long Highway run. Don’t really want to drop tank. Gonna get a big fuel filter for it tomorrow.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I’ve rebuilt the same carb in my 83. It’s not bad. I did have some small gaskets left after tho. I just didn’t mess with any of the adjustments. Put it back on and it ran great. It gets anywhere from about 13-17mpg lately. I’m about to rebuild the one on my 85 and it’s electrical. The carb kits are cheap for them so it’s not a bad option.

How’d you do that paint job. It looks pretty good!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
At this point I’ve been in that carb 4 times, I can have the top pulled and carb cleaned in 25 minutes now lol. Must have pretty rusty tank bc I keep getting rust in it. Paint was done with my 70s electro rotary paint gun and a gallon of smoke grey in the driveway :) not bad for $30 lmao better than that yellow that’s for sure

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Ok rust getting to carb is too bad, dropping the tank tonight to give it a good cleaning. Not pulling the bed as I am a one man team and don’t feel like man handling that bed off. It’s loose right now just taking a little dinner break. Need to disconnect rubber lines up top. Already got clamps off. Those old rubber hoses feel welded to the metal line.

·
Registered
265 Posts
And I liked the faded yellow ! Can’t imagine why ! Nice truck .

Reactions: sgp0511
21 - 40 of 78 Posts