S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not new here but haven’t posted in years probably when I had one of my 4 s10 trucks and blazers. Don’t currently have a s10 but looking at getting one this weekend. It’s a 84 2.8v6 5 speed 4x4. Supposedly it runs but not well. From pics I’ve seen it looks carbureted. This will be my 3rd 2.8 v6 as others were 87-88s so TBI. From what seller says everything works. I will update as time progresses but I hope to score this one as I’ve always liked the early interiors better but never had a truck with one. And the 5 speed and 4x4 are huge plus. The 90 Cheyenne is what I’m trading for it

·
time to get cereal
5,639 Posts
I wouldn't pass on a manual 4x4.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s what helped me decide to trade or not. Never been lucky enough to have one of the other but to now have both manual AND 4x4 I’m in!! Lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here she is! Guy said carb needs rebuild and it’s missing the air cleaner assembly, anyone have one their willing to part with? Has cool truck door inserts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got the grill and bumper set, not bolted yet but the bumper mounting points were so mangled idk how this even fit originally, had to do some straightening with my 2.5lb hammer lol

·
Registered
1985 s10 4x4 4spd
50 Posts
Congrats man. I just love those. Looks pretty straight. What's your master plan for it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plan for this thing is get it running first then cheap paint job then I got lots of work lined up for her ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Came with a carb rebuild kit, anyone ever rebuilt one of these 2 barrel rochesters?

·
Registered
1985 s10 4x4 4spd
50 Posts
I look forward to following your progress. I've got a similar project...1985 single cab, shortbox, 4x4, 4spd. Its in about the same shape is yours. Im approaching mine the same way.

I haven't rebuilt the Rochester, but it runs great with the Weber. I highly recommend expanding the budget for it. Lots of reading through old threads, it seems messing with that carb is pretty much a waste of time.

Any rot on the frame or floors?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She just has light surface rust no rot. So first step in my budget redo was getting those wheels looking good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Next is the grill.

Need to paint headlight buckets, and bumpers next. Paint the body to follow in a few weeks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m looking for an air cleaner assembly for the varajet carb and a s10 sport fender emblem. Anyone got these?

·
Registered
82 longbed 2.8 3-speed on the column, bench seat
56 Posts
don't paint the headlight bezels, they almost always look bad IMO. You can get new a new "chrome" set on eBAY for 30 bucks free shipping. That'll really brighten up the front end. Normally I would say leave the bumpers alone but I agree with you on that one (y)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cleaned that varajet carb out, had about 2 inches of dirt in it. Put new gasket on and haven’t fired it up yet bc oil full of gas. Now to change oil and see if this carb is gonna work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pulled the 2 seatcovers off today and found some weird seat material. This can’t be factory seat material or is it? Almost feels like old plush carpet.

·
Premium Member
1994 GMC Jimmy SLE 4.3 CPI 4x4
683 Posts
Those seats look like they’re from a Tahoe package maybe, my ‘85 Blazer had the same TRUCK inserts on the doors, and also going down the center of the seats, albeit in red and white on charcoal. I don’t see why they would be all that different so maybe those seats were swapped in somewhere down the line. Or they might just be some good recovers. I might still have an old set of the black faced bowtie center caps for those wheels in the barn somewhere if you’re interested.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those seats look like they’re from a Tahoe package maybe, my ‘85 Blazer had the same TRUCK inserts on the doors, and also going down the center of the seats, albeit in red and white on charcoal. I don’t see why they would be all that different so maybe those seats were swapped in somewhere down the line. Or they might just be some good recovers. I might still have an old set of the black faced bowtie center caps for those wheels in the barn somewhere if you’re interested.
yea I was thinking it probably got recovered some time ago. Yes I would definitely be interested in the center caps! LeT me know how much for them thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
got her running tonight!! Now I just gots dial in the carb, idles real high. All gauges seem to work and lights except one that just went out and rear tail lights and brake lights bout working

1 - 20 of 80 Posts