S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi again all, well, another question to a tech or who ever knows whats going on, i have this 1985 s10 pickup 1.9 4 speed truck, i just installed a whole new exhaust... when i bought it,, it had only a cat and a 12" pcs of pipe and that's it. it had a manifold exhaust leak so what i did was installed new manifold gaskets with a new donut. then i bought a new stock muffler straight to the back, all new pipe. but i did remove the cat which was in bad shape and was heavy as heck. but anyways. what i did notice is in the mornings when i take off and shift it back fires some and when its warm and i give it a bit of gas more then normal it back fires as well. enough to scare someone that is not expecting it. now can someone tell me if i have a problem? i'm thinking maybe by removing the cat , this is why i have this. or maybe not enough back pressure. anyone??? thank you.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Backfire thru Exhaust or Carb?

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Think you need to lean the carb out a bit...... hows the gas mileage been?

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Might pull the carb, clean it real good, if it needs a rebuild, get 'er done, and readjust and check timing also.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
check fuel pressure slammed

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, i was checking the carb this weekend and i sprayed some carb cleaner at the throttle shaft were it inters in the carb and it revved some. every time i sprayed that area it acted the same. revved up. now my question is. would that make the engine back fire out the exhaust. should i check the timing?

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Might be time for a rebuild on the carb....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts