S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a question about the b&m shifters for automatics. i know you can go through the gears with the ratchet ones. say your in drive, does it goes threw the 4 gears you can feel the truck shift on its own? or does it only allow you shift between 1 2 3 and D? like would you be able to redline it then push it into second i guess is what im trying to ask. any help would be greatly appreciated. looks like a cool mod i might try. especially once the S/C gets on there.

·
It's a Blue thing...
12,413 Posts
nivekr214 said:
i got a question about the b&m shifters for automatics. i know you can go through the gears with the ratchet ones. say your in drive, does it goes threw the 4 gears you can feel the truck shift on its own? or does it only allow you shift between 1 2 3 and D? like would you be able to redline it then push it into second i guess is what im trying to ask. any help would be greatly appreciated. looks like a cool mod i might try. especially once the S/C gets on there.
It'll remain the way it is now, you'll just have the lock out function so you don't throw it into reverse or park.
A shift kit is what you need if you wan to redline it.

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
Mr Blue said:
It'll remain the way it is now, you'll just have the lock out function so you don't throw it into reverse or park.
A shift kit is what you need if you wan to redline it.
Shift kits don't adjust when it shifts, that is controlled electronicaly via the computer. A computer tune will adjust shift points. This is all assuming it is an electronicly controlled trans, like a 4l60e.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yup. An old hydraulic/mechanical automatic like a 700R4 can be modified to a manual valve body so every shift you make on the shifter will change the gear. But a 4L60E or similar will not work that way.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
TnHombre said:
umm what are yall talking about?....
i have a B&M and if you place it in first itll stay in first till you "ratchet" it into 2nd.....
93 4L60E
You haven't wound it out far enough yet. Actually 93 / 94 4L60E's are a little different, than the rest of the later ones, but given enough RPM's they should still upshift, one gear past, where the shifter is at. There is a settable value in the ECM table to determine what RPM this happens.

·
LT1 Powered
2,467 Posts
poconojoe said:
You haven't wound it out far enough yet. Actually 93 / 94 4L60E's are a little different, than the rest of the later ones, but given enough RPM's they should still upshift, one gear past, where the shifter is at. There is a settable value in the ECM table to determine what RPM this happens.
Maybe it is just 93s? My 94 4l60e upshifts to the next gear without me moving the lever to 2. Luckily there is software so I can change the shift points.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Navecm said:
Maybe it is just 93s? My 94 4l60e upshifts to the next gear without me moving the lever to 2. Luckily there is software so I can change the shift points.
93 and 94's are controlled the same way, he just doesn't (or can't) wind it out far enough or since he does have a motor swap, something isn't set up or programmed correctly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts