S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've been answered before but I can't remember, I'm looking at swapping a blazer axle into my 2.8 1st gen 2wd auto, I use my truck for flat towing my jeep, what gear ratio should I aim for?

88 S10 Durango Long Bed 2wd 2.8L Auto

·
the new guy
906 Posts
what do you have right now? 3.05:1? my little 2.2 98 truck has a 3.73:1 so if you can find one of those, it will definitely make pulling easier. and driving more fun when not pulling.

I am going to swap the axle into my son's 92 2.8 powered truck since my truck is dead now. my son wants the spare car, an 88 bmw, so I will happily take the truck and swap all the zq8 stuff onto it and use it as my weekly driver

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think so I'll have to check when I get home, id imagine it's pretty high considering I get 25 highway at 70mph

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill probably go 373 id like to still have decent mpgs when not towing

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,388 Posts
Just an FYI, it'll totally throw your speedometer off. It'll run fast. Your truck is probably electronic speedometer. Not sure how to overcome that. My truck has a cable and gears. I switched from 3.08 gears to 3.42 and it ran really fast. Like 8% too high. Last year I lifted the truck 2 inches and put 235/75/15 tires on it and now it runs slightly slow, but that got it within 3% of correct.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's already off, for some reason im going slower than what the gauge shows, im pretty sure the gauges are full analog on my 88, they all bounce like Crazy when I hit a bump, as far as I know the truck is completely stock minus a cat delete

·
the new guy
906 Posts
if they bounce than you might just have a loose connection somewhere.

I did forget to mention about the speedo being off. I was wondering if I could just buy a different speedo gear or something to correct for that issue on this 92, once I am at that point. on the jeeps and other vehicles we did changes to, we just had to buy different gears for the trans speedo output but they were mechanical so I am not sure how to do this electronic trans. I suppose google will tell me though

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if they bounce than you might just have a loose connection somewhere.

I did forget to mention about the speedo being off. I was wondering if I could just buy a different speedo gear or something to correct for that issue on this 92, once I am at that point. on the jeeps and other vehicles we did changes to, we just had to buy different gears for the trans speedo output but they were mechanical so I am not sure how to do this electronic trans. I suppose google will tell me though
On jeeps the gear is in the tcase and it's analog digital

·
the new guy
906 Posts
All i know is we had to change to a greenish gear when you went to 33s

1 - 10 of 10 Posts