S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:booty: i was wonder if anyone could help me. I want to know if i have an awd truck does the rims have to be the same all the way around? Can i have like 17's on front and 18's on back or what, i hope ya'll can help.:chomp:

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
you can have different size wheels but yer gonna want to match the tire size or stagger the gear size to match the difference in tire height

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
i believe changing gear ratios, so front and rear are different, is a very bad thing, and i dont believe it would be done with a combo of 17s/18s, due the the very slightly smaller gear you would have to run in the back. better to go with 17's all around if fitment is a problem.

·
Insane Network Engineer
5,965 Posts
Yes, AWD is like 4x4 when you deal with tires and wheels... You need to use matched tires and matched rims all the way around for 2 pain reasons...1st being gearing... If you use different front and back rims/tires your truck won't run right and will not drive correctly do to the rear spinning at a different speed than the front.... 2nd is the ABS system for the same reason.... You will set off your ABS system contiunually because the sensors in the front will detect a difference in speed then the rear and think they are slipping...

·
ZQ8 2001
901 Posts
like hutch said, you CAN use different size rims as long as you end up using tires of the same overall height. all this means is that the 18s would have a shorter sidewall than the 17s which may look odd IMO.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
different size rims on the same vehicle look odd, anyway. what's the point of running a 17/18 combo?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i CAN get 17/18 combo set of nice rims from a gut for really cheap cause he's a freind but i am going to put an AWD conversion on my truck. I will just go ahead and put the same size all the way around and be done with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts